Author Topic: hydrated lime?  (Read 20348 times)

Offline deersled

hydrated lime?
« on: February 09, 2009, 01:43:37 am »
What is it? First attempt at tanning a deer hide. Got the book....can't find lye...or potassium hydroxide. I'm not sure if hydrated lime is something in concrete mix or regular powdered garden lime. Can you get it at a home depot or lowes? No one seems to know what "hydrated lime" is?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hydrated lime?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:45:25 am »
Hardwood ash and water will do the same, I believe.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 11:36:14 am »
Everything ya ever wanted to know about hydrated lime :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_hydroxide

Check with your local water treatment plant, if it is a softening plant they will have tons of the stuff
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:15:32 pm »
The kind of hydrated lime that I use is the garden (soil additive) variety.  I got mine from ace hardware.  I mix about a pound of it in a 15 gallon bin with about 10 gallons of water.  I wash the hide with dish soap and then throw it into the lime/water mix with a little bleach (to keep down the bacteria).  It takes a couple days for it to work but I've left it up to a week in the solution in order to be sure the lime reaches all parts of the hide.  Stirring every day helps a lot.  Try pulling on the hair to see if its slipping.  When it comes off REALLY easy, it's ready to be scraped.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Dave Dellinger

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 10:15:54 pm »
I used pickling lime from the grocery store.

Offline deersled

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 06:44:36 pm »
finally found sound hydrated lime. the book i got says 2# for 10 gallons of water. did that. Should I put something on it to totally submerge the hide?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 07:02:46 pm »
Yep, put a rock on it if you like....but you'll have to remove the rock when you stir it, and then replace it.  Makes the whole thing a little messier.

I don't submerge the hides, personally.  I just make sure they are well stirred.

What book are you reading?
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 11:52:16 pm »
wood ash is a tough mix, lime cant be screwed up because the water will only absorb so much . just check and stir daily
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 12:57:23 am »
I used pickling lime from the grocery store.

Ditto that....I have been saying for years....this works better....because it dissolves better
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline deersled

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 06:31:54 am »
"deerskins to buckskins" by Matt Richards. alright then, got it soaking and totally submerged. let yall know what happens.

Offline deersled

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 12:21:21 pm »
the lime worked great. soaked in a mild vinegar solution for a day. finally got it in the egg solution. wringed it out good and egged it some more. spent yesterday hand stretching until dry. don't think I got the whole thing completely dry. today it is the consistency of paper. not real stiff, but not really soft. can I sand it lightly and re-egg it? probably need to build a frame to stretch and dry it in. that hand stretching takes FOREVER. what cha think?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 12:32:36 pm »
Do You have a good Vise mounted?? If so....clamp You a Piece of Wood in it....and Pull the Hide across it to soften it up well....Probably doesn't need to be egged again....and if this doesn't soften it...you can always re-egg it.....But I bet the Stretching across the Board will do it for you....then you have to Smoke it to really get it soft...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline deersled

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 02:55:57 pm »
ok. I'll try that first. I've heard people refer to "breaking" a hide? I guess that's kind of what you're talking about. thanks

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 03:13:41 pm »
Thats exactly what it does....and you will be surprised how soft it will make it....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline deersled

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 11:31:29 pm »
will a metal cable do the same thing?