Author Topic: hydrated lime?  (Read 20344 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: hydrated lime?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 09:52:39 am »
will a metal cable do the same thing?

Yes it will...find a place that you can stretch it out tight....and start to draggin that Hide across it till it softens up nice...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline billy

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 12:14:17 am »
deer sled,

I once tried eggs on a deer skin and had the same result...stiff kinda like paper.  I don't know why, but it never ever softened up well.  I use brains exclusively now, but then maybe I didn't do the "egging" correctly.  By the way, that Deerskins into Buckskins is a great book. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 10:31:01 am »
bill how many eggs did ya use for what size hide?
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline deersled

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 02:09:43 am »
I used 12 eggs for 2 gallons of water, I believe? Small to medium sized whitetail hide. The cable and board have softened it up some. The thicker areas are just not soft enough. Think I need to get it wet again (re-egg) and attempt to dry it on the cable this time. Working a dry hide on a cable or board is extremely difficult. I haven't smoked it yet. Will smoking do anything to soften it up?

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 11:52:07 am »
if you redo it and it is still stiff , sand the area that is stiff to open up the fibers better. you can also scrape the stiff area so it is thinner.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct