Author Topic: first weeks work  (Read 6696 times)

Offline sailordad

first weeks work
« on: February 09, 2009, 09:10:49 pm »
well i gave this knapping thing a try.
first attempt was a week ago,and then again this past wekend.
i started by whacking this big rock with a piece of hickory that was left over from a stave.
no big spalls but some decent flakes so i thought i would try a few points.
after a week this is what i ended up with,not sure what kind of rock bot one is from a piece of obsidion
and i think i am doing something right,cause i end up bleeding very time i try making points.
the one second from the right i think is the best one,sharp as hell too.
they are from left to right first to last.

thanks for looking
                                                                                  peace,
                                                                                         tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

PeteDavis

Re: first weeks work
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:15:17 pm »
Remember to grind your edges well, raise your pressure platforms toward the face you are removing flakes from, press In as well as down. Your flakes will get longer. Keep gettin' it, man!

PD

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 11:45:14 am »
Looks like you're starting to figure it out. If you're bleeding you've got to be doing something right. ;D Like Pete said, push in more and down less with the flaker. Takes awhile to figure out the ratio of in/down to get good flakes.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:15:48 pm »
Keep at it Tim it gets easier, ya still bleed but it does start making sense :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 02:39:10 pm »

Keep at it.  The bleeding is just a sign of commitment, and the soon the lithic gods will smile on you.  I think they are all out laughing at me...... ;D
                                                                              Wayne

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 04:44:11 pm »
I made a good pile of em that looked just like that a few years ago Tim. Endeavor to persevere and you'll figure it out a little at a time. And yep, gotta get them platforms toward the edge your removing flakes from. Get the angle and pressure right then pop, they'll travel further :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 02:32:18 am »
 Ha !  chief Dan was the man. Anywho....Your stuff is looking like the stuff we all turned out when we first started.Keep at it and you'll be there soon.Then you'll be binding them on shafts and terrorizing the critters.   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 11:08:52 am »
thanks everyone.

i am definitely committed/addicted. i find myself spending more time trying to knapp,than i spend
trying to make bows now.
dont mind bleedng,just wish i knew when i cut myself so that i could take care of it right away.but my hands are so callosed from wrenching.
i usually only find i cut myself after everything is blood covered.

frank: all the points i make will have to be for show. minnesotas hunting laws are very clear on that. it says broadheads MUST have atleast 2 sharp metal
cutting edges.oh well i will still keep at it.

thanks again                                                                peace,
                                                                                        tim

AKAPK

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 01:16:55 am »
Thats a Good start, Glad your gettin in that rock I sent ya. :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 03:29:53 am by AKAPK »

Stringman

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 10:47:11 pm »
I like your spirit Tim! You keep improvin then come down here to Illinois. I've already proved to myself that our deer bleed fine with stone points!

d:^)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 09:02:23 am »
Tim
Way to get after it. Good start. I have a pile of points just like that from not to long ago. Pay attention to the tips these guys are giving you. They have helped me out a bunch.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 10:11:06 am »
thanks everyone. ;D

gotta tell ya . i really like this knapping thing.matter of fact i went to my first knapp in here yesterday. quite an interesting experience

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 03:45:54 pm »

Sailordad, I have some news for you.  It doesn't go away.  Once infected with the knap virus, you are a knapper, be it a beginner, middle skill level, highly skilled, or master skill level.  I can't walk in my garage, without going over to the rocks, and messing with some of them, and forgetting what the heck I went out there for in the first place.  It is interesting at how sharp that stuff can be.  Like you, I only find out when I have cut myself, when, I notice that the rock is sticky, and my hands are also, and then, I notice the color.  Oooops.  Just this morning, I was messing with some rock, I got at the Dade City knap in, and then picked up an old piece I had been working on, and started to sharpen the edges, and checked to see how sharp they were, and then turned the piece over, and then noticed the skin on the tip of my left index finger hanging down......ok, it's sharp enough.  Keep at it, and definitely go to knap-ins, and try to find someone else near you that is infected, or deranged also.  Whenever you come across a rock, you will just "Have" to smack it to see what is in side......You will not be able to drive well any more, because you will be looking at rock on the side of the road, and else where, instead of where you are going.  Sort of like looking at trees, and wondering how many bows are in them......so, welcome to the bin :P ;D

Wayne

Stick

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 09:54:12 pm »
 Wayne, when are you gonna post those nice points you made I saw Saturday?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 10:42:08 pm »
Considering the fact that you have six points in the picture and not just one, I'd say the bug has bit.  Feed it a good dose of rock with the appropriate blood sacrifice and and you will get better.  Looks like you have a good start. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck