Author Topic: Wolf sighting on Santiam pass in Oregon  (Read 53078 times)

Offline Keenan

Wolf sighting on Santiam pass in Oregon
« on: February 14, 2009, 12:06:24 am »
 Well hope our elk and deer herds don't take to big of hit.  >:( >:( :'(

http://www.nuggetnews.com/main.asp?SectionID=5&SubSectionID=5&ArticleID=15438&TM=75367.03

Offline DanaM

Re: Wolf sighting on Santiam pass in Oregon
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 07:26:55 am »
We've had wolves here in the UP now for a number of years so i feel your pain >:(

The antis and animal lovers will be all over this, Keenan just remember they only kill the weak and sick animals ::) :P :-*
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 11:02:23 am »
So many lies and denials about the wolves.  Same thing happend out of Casper, Wyo.  with all the "experts" tossing in with their bias opinions.  I laugh when they say a wolf would not be in that good of condition this time of year.  Well, I can show you pictures of dead ones killed by the US Wildlife people that weight over 170 lbs. and in prime condition.  Beautiful as they are, it is a very big mistake to reintroduce them.  So very many millions have already been spent on them in times when we have people out of work and on the dole!  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 03:17:37 pm »
Once they get established your elk herds will begin an immediate decline. The feds will deny it to the end, claiming that the herds are stronger and healthier.. around here wherever the wolves hunt, the herds are in a rapid decline and the wolves ae on a perpetual upswing. A recent trip into Yellowstone this winter showed atleast half last years number of elk and bison where three wolf packs hunt during the winter. As usual the droves of wolf observers along the roadways say that the herds are smaller now but much healtheir. ::) While they watch a healthy three year old cow be eaten near Mammoth hot springs, I glassed all the open hillsides along the south facing slopes and counted only fifty elk. Last year at the same time of year I counted three hundred :( :( :(  Hawk   
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 05:50:15 pm »
300 to 50 eh Mike probably global warming not the wolves or it could be ______ fault ;) :D :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 06:03:02 pm »
Probably they were abducted by aliens for some experiment to better all of mankind ;D ;) Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 08:21:29 pm »
 Yep,, All the writing is on the wall as they say.  I was hesitant to post this because of the feelings that some have towards wolves and I do respect that but I know the damage that we are headed for. >:( :'( :'( :'(

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 07:30:02 am »
Keenan they won't eat all the game, heck I saw two deer last year bow hunting and man were they healhty ::) ;) :D

Manistique, MI

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 07:42:54 am »
I wonder how the animal numbers faired before wolves left these areas? Even here in Kentucky their were wolves at one time (red wolves) now all we got is yotes. I would love to go elk hunting one of these days so I hope the wolves don't eat em all first.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 08:50:33 am »
Even though I like Wolves a large number of them worry me as well.  If left uncontrolled they will decimate a herd.  My wife and I watched a couple of Grey Wolves feed on a carcass on the other side of the river a couple days ago
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

snakebow

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 09:50:46 am »
I hunted elk every year on Bear Creek just outside the north end of Yellowstone for years untill the wolves showed up. I always saw elk. Now you would be lucky to find a track of one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 01:24:10 am »
I don't live in wolf country so take this for what it is worth  ;D...I think we have a need for our large native predators. They managed the herds well before we came along...but their numbers need to be controlled also. We are now in control of nature anymore so we have the responsibility to maintain healthy numbers of all our native species, predator and prey alike.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 07:52:46 am »
Pat your absolutely right, I now live in wolf country and their are no controls on them and likely never will be.
They delisted them last year and within a month the antis had sued and put them right back on the E.S. list.
DNR estimates over 500 wolves here in the UP so I'm thinking the number is a lot higher than that as the DNR
has never been able to count right. I have no problem with wolves being here as they were a native species,
but you can't get all romantic about them they need control as in trapping and or hunting but the citified liberals
down in the cities get all misty eyed when you talk about killing them. Hmmmm wonder how they would feel if they
had em there hunting their little pampered pets!

Manistique, MI

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 08:24:15 am »
Pat B:  People that don't live here have no idea what these huge Canadian wolves do to those of us that have to submit to Government control.  Private property rights and state's rights have no meaning.  They have had a devastating effect on our moose populations.  I have been lucky so far as have been able to chase them off my horses.  Can send you pictures of them in my yard.  A two year old male weights 175 pounds.  The neighbors have lost several steers to them after hunting season this year.  They have made tremendous changes to the elk dynamics and don't even begin to eat what they kill.  We don't want to eradicate them, only control their numbers to balance the effect they have on livestock and wildlife populations.  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 10:18:36 am »
Well it seems we are all on the same page but from a different perspective.  ;)
  Dana, I am one of those certified liberals and have been for over 40 years but I don't live in a city. Maybe that's the difference!  ;D ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC