Author Topic: Wolf sighting on Santiam pass in Oregon  (Read 53053 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Wolf sighting on Santiam pass in Oregon
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2009, 11:10:07 pm »
 Florida is not far behind. They have been breeding the Red Wolf on the down low, nice and quiet in the swamp north of town. I live in the largest county in Florida also famous for cattle ranches. I've heard that if they are released in the wild and spotted they will not last long, law or no law. I've already seen some 'Yotes?, that I thought was way to big. Also the panther(couger from Texas), is making a come back. We have been spotting them more recently.
  Also, if you like PETA, do some research on the Humane Society.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2009, 11:45:43 pm »
Very well stated Hawk.  Good point Eddie.

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 02:16:50 am »
Keenan, you run out of cascade elk Thereis plenty in NW Oregon ;D. This is the air museum in Tillamook.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2009, 02:18:45 am »
Sorry the pics are fuzzy. We were parked on the side of Highway 101 to get these pics. Joel

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2009, 09:40:48 am »
Joel, Did you have a Tillamook Ice Cream while you were watching the elk?   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2009, 11:27:08 am »
Pat That was going into town so we hadnt been there yet. But we did stop at the cheese factery on our way through. Joel

Offline paulc

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2009, 11:35:58 am »
Last I knew wolves were native to the entire continental US so there is no basis to claim they are an introduced or non native species.  They were extripated from virtually their entire range by european americans who thought they had a higher claim to the land.  Should farmers/ranchers be compensated for damage to their herds?...I think so.  And it should be paid for by every citizen as these wolves belong to all of us.  

But this idea that the wolves are evil or somehow out of place or where they should not be is just a really difficult idea for me to accept.  Life is full of risks every day, whether we live in the city and have to worry about other humans targeting us, or the forest and we may have to deal directly with a wolf, bear,venomous snake, or weak ice and falling trees...No one, especially the gov't has promised, or should promise us, a life in a rose garden.  Know the risks of whatever activity you choose to pursue and either accept them or choose something else to do with your time.  

Offline DanaM

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2009, 12:11:44 pm »
I don't think anyone is contending that the wolves don't have a place, but what I'm saying is
that control measures need to be in place to keep the population at reasonable number, same as they do for the deer herd,
But when it comes to wolves they are hands off, not even the state has the right to kill em. If you shoot one it had better be gnawing on your leg
when you pull the trigger or your going to jail and will pay a huge fine. This is Michigan I'm talking about. No one will ever convince me that a wolf is a great and noble animal, they are just another of Gods creations, they are what they are and that is a top rung predator!
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline paulc

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 12:20:51 pm »
Can't see much in your post DanaM to argue with...If a wolf was chewing on my leg I would shoot it in a heart beat.  But to shoot it just because it eats/wastes deer/cows is just silly. 

I would argue that wolves are high and noble same as human hunters.  In my mind they are the epitome of freedom and should be treated with the respect any of us would claim for ourselves.  And yeah, their population should be managed based on good science, not on us fearing there won't be any deer or moose for us.  FWIW

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2009, 12:35:35 pm »
Sorry, brother I a not willing to give up my hunt to the wolves... there is only enough habitat left for a certain amount of elk and deer.. unfortunately there can't be a balance between wolves and human hunters... they are just too efficient of hunters...as are we.. when we compete for the same prey as wolves in such a small ecosystem eventually the herds will decline to a point where the wolves and we hunters will be hard pressed to find prey to hunt at all...We as humans have laws to protect the herds from dying off through selective harvest and controll, wolves don't have the same luxury.. They hunt every day for survival, when the herds decline , so do the wolves.. I guess my point is are we willing to trade wolves for deer, elk, moose and sheep, only to lose the wolves in te end to starvation.. I love to see wolves in the high country, the problem is they won't stay there.. cows are just too easy to catch. We can't blame the wolves for being introduced.. these wolves are a whole different critter than the historic wolves of the plains... these brutes can weigh in at one eighty plus ,compared to the prairie wolves at seventy pounds  or so.. i am not trying to argue with you bro, just educate on the true nature of OUR problem out here in Wyoming.. as a hunter, conservationist and nature lover, I believe it is my responsabiliy to shed some light on the real dangers facing our elk.. I am sure many of the bowhunters on this site would love to come out to the west and hunt an elk someday. Unfortunately with the wolves at the numbers they are, that dream hunt may not be a reality for much longer...I do hunt elk right along side grizz , mountain lions and wolves and have for twenty plus years.. I have been bit by a ratter, and charged by a sow grizz wih cubs...and have the scars on my arm to prove it..  have had to follow my horses for miles in the wilderness after a wolf pack chased them from my camp.. haven't been hit by a faling tree of fell through the ice yet  ;D so I guess I can say I accept the wildrness on her terms... but not very accepting of losing my right to hunt to a felow predator.. stay cool and keep your chin to the wind .. Hawk        
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline DanaM

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2009, 12:35:44 pm »
And therin lies the problem, we have a stable reproducing population of wolves here in the UP but the state has no ability
to control them because they are listed as a Edangered Species ??? They were delisted by the feds but PETA and The Hunmane Society of America
to name a few, immediately sued and they were placed back on the list. So once again the States hands are tied. This reminds me of the Cormorant issue
all over again, they ate our lakes and rivers clean of fish all the while enjoying state and fereral protection and the experts claiming they only ate rough fish
not the perch and walleye. Feds finally removed their protection and the state has been reducing their numbers. Now its the wolves turn!
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2009, 12:36:34 pm »
                                            Boy.....Am I Biting a Hole in My Lip right now............... :-X
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2009, 12:39:33 pm »
                                            Boy.....Am I Biting a Hole in My Lip right now............... :-X

Why Mike as long as its kept civil there is no reason not to have a healty debate :)

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2009, 02:30:06 pm »
 I have been following this thread with interest that is until now ! Look at the title of the thread foks ! Look real hard it says oregon NOT michigan, wyoming or other places. Its about a sighting NOT about wolves will run off yer horses, eat em and yer dog ifn ya leave em in camp while yer out hunting. Its NOT about their control, cattle, livestock ,blm and their restrictions, peta er humane soceity of america er your personal opinions or who has more right ta the game , elk etc. Its about a sighting in Oregon. Kennan said that their may be changes coming in oregon. Some of ya seem ta like ta stir the pot. READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD !!!!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2009, 03:20:17 pm »
Well hope our elk and deer herds don't take to big of hit.  >:( >:( :'(

Actually bob Keenans statement leads one to believe that the topic is open for discussion. Its been kept civil and no harm has been done.
The only post I see that even remotely stirs the pot is yours! With that said I'm done with this topic :-X

My apologies Keenan.

Manistique, MI