Author Topic: Wolf sighting on Santiam pass in Oregon  (Read 53323 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Wolf sighting on Santiam pass in Oregon
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2009, 10:42:16 pm »
I love the wild horses, but they wont let you catch one you want.  They will let you adopt one they catch for you, but your horse is picked through a lottery.
The problem is we have a couple of herds that are so inbred they are going blind. It isn't unusual to see one run head long into a cedar tree.  The other herds are doing great, but the ranchers are still turning out stud horses to keep up the breeding. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Traxx

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2009, 07:41:25 pm »
Justin,
At the expense of sounding like im pickin on you,which is not the case.Just tryin to set the record straight.It is illegal to attemp to catch a feral horse on federall land.Falls under the harrasment laws.The lottery adoption,is only at sanctioned sattleite adoptions.You can go to a holding facility,and pick your horse from the herd.I loaded 3 of em today for adopters.Im assumeing you meant BLM wranglers,not Ranchers that Turn Studs loose.If it was Ranchers,they would be violateing severall laws.Even if it wasnt a violation,it would not be wise,to turn a domestic stud loose among the wild herd.First,a high dollar domestic stud,would not last long in the wild.It would either starve,not knowing how to range well,or would be killed or maimed to the point of haveing to be put down,by a wild stud.Wild Studs are pretty handy at fightin.they do it fer a livein.Beyond that,many wild herds are carriers of different transmitable diseases,that could be contracted by a domestic stud.All wild horses gathered by the BLM,are quarantined and tested ,before they are allowed to be put in the adoption program.

Mike,
Did you adopt your Horses from the Pryor facility?If so,did you deal,with a Ute NDN fella,by the name of Vic?Or a guy named Todd Nunn?

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2009, 07:52:51 pm »
All three mustangs I adopted were ones formerly adopted by folks who decided to get rid of them.. Two I adopted through the Reaching hands ranch in Powell Wyoming..the lady who had them couldn't afford them and neither had ever been so much as haltered....this pic is of Bronte, a six year old I got from them and trained... used some old Lakota training methods and was riding him inside of five days.. Great horse. ;D HAWK, a/ho

[attachment deleted by admin]
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2009, 08:13:43 pm »
Ya know what? If there are wolves in OR then they are definitely here in WA!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2009, 08:15:38 pm »
Traxx, I know it is illegal to attempt to catch them. That is why I said they wont let you.  ;) I have been to the adoptions/lottery also. I didn't mean the BLM, I meant ranchers.  Some of these horses are on private property and these ranchers let their studs run on their property. I'm not saying they are high dollar, but they are well bred nice horses. I do know of the BLM turning out 1 $7000 stud also.  :o I always thought the wild stud would abuse a turn out. I also though a herd would only have 1 mature stud, but I know of at least 2 herds with 2 studs. I cant explain it, but I have watched them from close up and it is true. There are 4 herds sharing the water hole and they will run off the other herds but both studs will stay with their heard and leave with it. It was a new one for me. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2009, 10:03:18 am »
If these Wolves in the Picture I was sent by My Father are REAL....then these are no more Native American Wolves than are Sanbar Stags Native Deer....These were supposed to been shot in Wyoming in the Winter of 2008

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2009, 10:23:45 am »
whollywuheh :o :o :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2009, 11:59:45 am »
I've been up close and personal with several Grey Wolves, like within 30 yards.  When they become aware of you they just turn and leisurely trot off
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2009, 12:43:31 pm »
I was Horseback one Winter Weekend as a Kid...riding down a Trail in the Keweenaw Peninsula in Upper Michigan with My oldest Sister behind Me....when a Grey came out of the Trees just 15 yards in front of my Appaloosa....The Horse Reared dropped Me on My Ass....and ran off....the Wolf looked at Me....and crossed the Trail into the Pines on the other side.....never even flinched.....I about Crapped in my Ski Pants I was wearing...and thats No S$%T........... O:)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2009, 01:16:05 pm »
While hunting on the North fork of the Shoshone river back country I had several wolves come right into my camp. I had just gotten back to camp and was building a fire, my horse wasn't even unsaddled yet.. the wolves boldly came within yards of me to get to the horse.. he busted the highline and ran for the timber... the wolves in hot pursuit. I trailed them for all of that night and slept under a tree until the moon came up, then resumed the tracking. I found my horse miles away the next day during a snowstorm with the saddle under his belly, he was unhurt except for some cuts  and a cinch burn, he was glad to see me. The wolves  gave up the chase for reasons known only to wolves. The creator was watching out for my horse that time, and let me say those were some huge wolves I would guess they weighed in at close to two hundred and were in prime condition.They had no fear at all of me.. until I lit out after them.....Great pics of those Wyoming "Good" wolves Mike...Hawk 

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Parnell

« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2009, 11:38:58 pm »
Maybe the wolves can be sent here to South Florida to hunt snowbirds and leave the elk alone for awhile.  I think maybe the flock needs to be thinned... ;) ;D
1’—>1’

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2009, 06:59:26 pm »
thats not even Funny Parnell....My Aunt and Dad and Stepmother are on their way to the Kissimmee/St Cloud area as We Chat....to Spend a Month ans Spend a lot on Money in their Winter Home..... :o ;)

back to the Point of this Post....here is a little News I received today ....might help this Situation down the road...if it all goes through..........

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE             Contact: Greg R. Lawson (614) 888-4868 ext. 214
March 6, 2009                                           Sharon Hayden (614) 888-4868 ext. 226

U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation: Right Call on Wolf Delisting

(Columbus) – The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation is pleased with today’s decision by Interior Secretary Ken Salazar to continue with the removal of the gray wolf from the Endangered Species Act (ESA).

“Secretary Salazar made the right call on delisting the gray wolf,” stated Rob Sexton, Vice President for Government Affairs at the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation (USSAF). “This decision is based on sound science, not politics.”

As Salazar indicated in his announcement statement, "The recovery of the gray wolf throughout significant portions of its historic range is one of the great success stories of the Endangered Species Act.”

According to all scientific evidence, the gray wolf populations in the Northern Rockies and the western Great Lakes region have grown dramatically since their initial listing in 1974. Today, there are more than 5,500 wolves. 1,600 reside in the Rockies.

Previously, a coalition of environmental and animal rights groups filed lawsuits in 2008 to block the Bush administration’s then proposed delisting of 1,500 wolves in the Northern Rockies. The USSAF Wisconsin Bear Hunters' Association and a series of other conservation groups intervened in that case.

“Given the population growth, there were no valid reasons that states cannot resume management of the wolves,” said Scott Meyer, of Gleason Wisconsin, who joined USSAF as an intervener in the case.   

The decision from Secretary Salazar comes in the face of intense lobbying by leading anti-hunting groups including the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation protects and defends America’s wildlife conservation programs and the pursuits – hunting, fishing and trapping – that generate the money to pay for them. The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation is responsible for public education, legal defense and research. Its mission is accomplished through several distinct programs coordinated to provide the most complete defense capability possible. For more information about the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation and its work, call (614) 888-4868 or visit its website, www.ussafoundation.org.

2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2009, 07:58:58 pm »
Good news Mike :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cawkazn

« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2009, 11:05:42 pm »
i personally like wolfes and am glad to see them back in the wild etc. however if i was a rancher or something i could see why people dont like them if htey are killing your sheep or what not. but I really dont think its a hard problem to solve, alll you need is a dog. Not a little chump wimp sheep herding dog, but a real Livestock Guardian Dog. caucasion ovchartka should get the job done, easily capable of killing a wolf. And unlike most shepherd/herding dogs, this dog doesnt just have the instict to defend, but to actually attack and kill. Oh and they are damn near 200 lbs. Im quite dog educated,dogs kinda goes hand in hand with all the primitive stuff. anyways if anyone needs some help I can point you in the right direction. PM me.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2009, 12:03:29 am »
Sorry to burst your bubble bro, but there is not a dog alive that could last more than a few seconds against a wolf.. much less a pack of ten or more. Wolves hunt and run all day every day..they are solid muscle and kill 700 pound elk every day for a living...near the Yellowstone border a 185 pound sheep guarding dog was killed ,eaten and all they found was one hind foot..another lady Montana lost a germa shepherd and a siberian husky.. within seconds of one another to a lobo wolf in her yard.. Hawk

Mike "Hawk" Huston