Author Topic: Sycamore  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Boudreaux

Sycamore
« on: February 15, 2009, 10:33:50 pm »
Do you have to back a sycamore bow? I got a small but good looking tree from a ice storm that went through here and was gonna try one, but I was wondering If had to back it or not. Do I just need to make it longer? draw 28 looking for about 55lbs
Thanks Guys

Offline Danny Roberts

Re: Sycamore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:56:42 am »
I'm not sure. I'm gonna' make an unbacked one. Good luck.
Kentucky

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 10:02:12 am »
PM EL Destructo, he's made some out of sycamore.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 11:25:55 am »
Boudreaux ....just found this Thread.....hey....I may be the only one out there that really appreciates Sycamore....but I love it!! It is nice light springy wood with awesome colors in the grain when out in the Sun! I have done mainly Selfbows with it....the ones that I have backed have been with Sturgeon....Snake and Rawhide....If you are shooting fo 28 inches....I would make it at least 66 inches long....all of mine are 66 at 29 inches of draw....and I have never had a Failure from a Sycamore Bow ....YET!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Rich Saffold

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 02:42:18 pm »
EL D, That is pretty! I too have made bows from Sycamore and I'd love to make another about 71" ntn elb style with a fairly flat belly.. Since It's light in density I like to make these bows long. I had a 60" unbacked one for years and kept trying to break it, eventually a friend manages since he was drawing it way to far.

A thin backing is good insurance since the rings can be very thin. It is as beautiful a wood as their is.

Rich

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 04:02:17 pm »
Thanks Rich....coming from You ....I consider that a Big Compliment...I have seen Your work!!  I have made two ELB's from Sycamore....and they are great....I like to make most of mine about 66 inches total....seems to be great from My Draw and Style of Bows too....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

nickf

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 05:44:29 pm »
actually you can leave every wood unbacked, as long as you treat it well. Some woods are worse in tension than others, the tension strong ones take bare backs way better as tension weak woods, or are even used as backings.

Sycamoore is callled tension strong, wich means it does very well unbacked, and it's used to back lighter, tension weak woods, like Black Cherry. According to many bowyers Sycamore is a great bowwood, and it happens I just found a nice bunch of it, exactly today! I've been searching for it quite a while. So my first sycamoore staves will come soon!

if you're a beginning bowyer, 66"nock to nock would be a good length, but 68 is safer. If your first or second bow, I'd go for 72", 8" handle area, 2" at fades, tapering from midlimb to 1/2" nocks. With some skill you can make it 64" or smaller, 65-68 is considered as ideal for 28" drawlength. But as I said, it's better for beginners to make them some inches longer ;)

Nick

Offline Boudreaux

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 09:50:37 pm »
Thanks Guys. I gonna split it out tomorrow and let it dry out. How long should it dry? Or how far can I work it now? Im thinking around 66-68 inches for 55lbs at 27 inches. Im no expert bowyer by anymeans, but I have built a few osage bow.
Thanks Guys

Offline ozarkcherrybow

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 12:10:33 am »
Really, Sycamore! I alway thought of it lilke a pine, too soft.....Well ya'll have given me another wood to try...Thanks, I think?  .....Terry
any stick do for bow, but good arrows are damn heap work