Author Topic: Vises... bow holding devices...  (Read 15279 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Vises... bow holding devices...
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 07:41:51 am »
Barrage,can't have to many vices,I think we have 15/16 at the club and when the classic gets here that ant enough. :) Lost arra I have a workmate just like that,it is handy when you travel. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 10:36:11 am »
Here are some easy to make vise jaw pads.

Adding a post near your vise is the handiest add on you can have while working on bows. It supports your stave while you are doing serious wood removal and acts as a great stop for bending wood.

Offline chriss880

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 10:43:12 am »
i just have vice and some clamps that work really good

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 08:38:36 pm »
Boy!  Either you fellers don't use your vises much, or i'm just a slob! ::)
  Here's what I use to pad the jaws on my vice.  It's just some thick rubber hose split down one side. I like it better than leather.  You can just slip it off if you don't need it, plus no matter how hard you tighten it, it won't dent your wood. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 09:20:59 pm »
I use a shaving horse for debarking and chasing rings, a bench-mounted vise for the rest of the process.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Badger

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 02:03:05 am »
Here is one I use for rel highly reflexed bows, don't use it often but If I am having trouble with one I pull it out. I just crank it down and tiller while it is in the stirrups.

ludimile

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 10:37:40 am »
I just clamp onto a heavy table with the part being worked overhanging the edge. i put a pice of cloth underneath the back when working the belly

Offline Hojo

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 02:16:36 pm »
I struggled with the small vise that I have for a long while.  Made some of the vise jaw pads like Eric K's (above) out of some old OSB scraps and they vastly improve the vise's ability to hold staves --- and with no damage.   Great idea, Eric!

Offline wakosama

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 10:14:07 pm »
The majority seem to prefer a large heavy machinists vise, solidly mounted.  A bit surprising since bows are wood, but I can see why from the pictures and having done a little bow work.  I especially like all the different jaw padding options.

Thanks everyone...

LUK
Think as if your LIFE depends on it... IT DOES...!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 10:52:06 pm »
That's one reason I leave the handle shaping until last. A nice solid squared off handle area clamps well and holds well without scaring the finished handle, whether your vise jaws are padded or not.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 08:47:56 am »

this is my bench; i'm forth generation using it! my grandfather and my gran-grandfather have been carpenters, so it has it's history.
i mounted the vice and it's pretty good working hight for me now. although the free space that i have this way on both sides of the bow works great for me.
i see some really good ideas for paddind the vice here, thanks for that!
f.

Frank from Germany...

Offline Postman

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 10:01:20 am »
Highly portable....

"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 04:26:58 pm »
Gitter done boys. I don't have a camera handy right now but I use a 4" one a buddy gave me when he was downsizing and getting rid of the three of everything he had.  I built a bowworking bench like the many I saw at OJAM last year with a some outriggers for stabbility. the bench is heavy but when debarking you need something that not gonna move on ya. I have been using leather scraps as pads for the wood but I like the rubber hose idea. One could call it portable if I still had a truck but it won't fit in the trunk of the car so I guess it is'nt, lol I can move it around my area  as need though and I am happy with it. The bench also serves as a stitting bench when company is over and we need extra seats by the fire ring, I just take the vise off and voilla it goes from bow bench to guest seating in no time flat. Works great. I love seeing where everyone makes their shavings. Its nice to know I'm not the only one out there thats a little off kilter with the wood shaving thing. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline DanaM

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 06:19:57 pm »
I have lots of vices drinkin, smokin, chasing.... oh you meant vises ;) ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2009, 03:32:40 am »

dana, thanks for the correction!
just to round this up a little: in british english it is "vice", not "vise"

wie sieht's bei dir mit fremdsprachen aus??
lieben gruß, frank
Frank from Germany...