Author Topic: Tapping maples for sap?  (Read 20156 times)

Offline TRACY

Re: Tapping maples for sap?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 10:48:58 am »
Thanks for the input Marc. It is a lot of work, but worth it. I will try to locate some of those rectangle SS serving pans to use next year. I couldn't imagine boiling sap by adding red hot rocks to sap in a dugout log the way it was originally done by natives.

Harv,; When you post a reply, go down to additional options and click. Then you will be able to browse through your computer for pics. You might want to copy them to the desk top so you can resize to 620 X 480 and save your original. You can post six items per reply this way.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline chigger

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 11:59:42 pm »
     I haven't figured how to post yet but I'm working on it...Me and Ma boiling sap..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline TRACY

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 09:14:30 am »
Thanks for posting pics. Looks like a good setup and a lot of fun. The weather broke here and the sap is flowing well. Man I just can't get enough of that syrup, it's unbelievably wonderful.

Tracy

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 10:51:27 am »
Thanks for posting the pics. That's something I've never tried but always wanted to. We have quite a few sugar maples here, only one on my land, though. There is an area near here called "Sugarlands"-got its name because there are a lot of sugar maple trees there and boiling syrup and sugar used to be a big thing in the area. Marc, you mentioned red maple-does it work as well other than the sap/syrup ratio? (Is the syrup as good?) I was pruning a couple maple trees yesterday, and the sap was just pouring out of them.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 11:10:42 am »
Hillbilly, you sound like me a month ago :D.My better sap producers are reds that are 18" dbh. My setup is pretty crude , but works. Next year I'll level more and use new block  and better evaporating pans that maximize surface area like Marc mentioned. Here's a better simple setup that I found on the web. No more flavored corn syrup here!

http://matthewgroves.com/Hobbies/Sugaring09.html

Tracy