Author Topic: Recurving tips on holmie feasible or just crazy?  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

Recurving tips on holmie feasible or just crazy?
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:46:27 pm »
I was wondering if this was even feasible. I mean take a efficient design and add some more pep. Whats yalls opinion would it work or just break outright?
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Recurving tips on holmie feasible or just crazy?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:51:29 pm »
It would put more stress on already short working limbs, but if it holds together, it should spit an arrow. Might get more set, though. That hickory bow you sent me in the Christmas trade is a Holmegaard variant design, is pretty much mildly recurved, and shoots great.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:55:35 pm »
It might be hard to maintain lateral stability with such narrow tips.
Gordon

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 10:04:07 pm »
Yeah the bow I sent you was kinda where I wanna go but a little more extreme. Glad to hear it's still shootin good for ya. That stave had a R/D shape naturally and I just added a bit more flip at the tips. I really liked the way that bow shot.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:11:17 pm »
Feasible but extremely difficult.  Like Gordon said, lateral stability will be difficult to maintain. A string bridge might be required.  I have made 1 similar, but it was a modified design with only the recurve narrowed, about 6" of limb at the tip.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 11:43:12 pm »
Most of my recurves are modified Holmie design...wide most of the limb with abruptly narrowed tips. Being curved, you don't notice it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC