Author Topic: Elk Stand  (Read 7599 times)

Offline Little John

Elk Stand
« on: February 17, 2009, 10:24:08 pm »
Just found this picture hiding out on the camera memory and thought I would share it. This is my favorite hideing and waiting spot for elk. It is a groung blind made behind a big fallen tree and is very comfortable to spend the day in. There is also an overhang simi cave to hiode out in during rain delays about eighty yards away. This is the most used elk crossing and wallow area I have ever seen, about 8-10 well used trails intersect the stream crossing about 20-25 yards from the stand. Lots of close encounters and one missed shot here. Mostly swirling winds tips the hand in the elks favor.   Kenneth

[attachment deleted by admin]
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline PeteC

Re: Elk Stand
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 10:46:49 pm »
Neat lookin' place to take a stand,beautiful country.I know what you mean about swirlin' wind.My son-in-law and I made 2 stalks on hogs,within 35yards,saturday morning,only to be betrayed by swirlin' wind. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 12:04:56 am »
Cool spot, Kenneth. Is that near where we were?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 12:11:34 am »
Have bow , will travel ;D ;) I think i could even kill an elk in a perfect spot like that :o I forsee elk blood on your arrows this year.. Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 08:33:32 am »
Pete, Thanks and have fun with those hogs. Wish we had them and could hunt thru out the year.

Pat, yes it is right in the middle of our old hunting grounds. I think you even went that direction once but don't know if I can describe its location to you. I have been real close to it several times but just  really found it at the end of the 07 season. Wish I could find a couple more just like it.

Hawk, thanks for your confidence but you are right, I think it will eventually work out. Hope so any way would like to have the meat again one of these days.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 08:09:06 am »
Good looking ambush spot Kenneth...good luck there this year.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 02:11:04 pm »
Sunny side of the Salt Creek or dark side?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 12:39:41 am »
Pat, yea it is on the sunny side. I think in the area where you ran down the mountain to get closer to the bugling bull. Remember wher you hiked up the hill to find the big wallow well go about another 1/4 mile up the main trail to where two ridges and two small creeks come down real close together. I think I told you that Kathie and I biviwacked there one night under a leantoo. Any way up the ridge for a good little ways then angle down on a game trail to the bottom between the two ridges. About two or three flight arrow shots west of the big wallow. If you could make it out I would help you out with the tag and the stand would be yours.    Kenneth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 01:43:18 am »
You know if I could I would!!!!!!!!!  I just re-read the Story of Elkie last night. My body and history are in the East but my dreams are out WEST! ;)

Offline rivercane

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 05:49:22 pm »
Tell me again how to get there??!! O:)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 12:28:08 am »
Head up Salt Creek from camp, past the 4th drainage, up the finger ridge to the big bowl at the top then follow the ravine down about 100 yards to this...

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 08:30:24 am »
Hey Pat you are good, who would have thought an old fart like you could remember like that. Heck I have to feel my way in like a blind man.   Kenneth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 10:37:55 am »
Kenneth, It is permanently burned into my brain! ;)

As a side note...ya'll will notice the water in the wallow is clear. I'd bet by the next weekend it was quite muddy! ::)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 06:42:02 pm »
Dang, you guys... now I am thinking of elk  :o I can almost smell the pungent scant of elk urine, the musty scent of the forest floor and hear the deep growling bugle of an old warrior coming into that wallow.. Oh that is right I am always thinking of elk hunting O:) Hawk 
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Little John

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 09:47:59 pm »
Thoughts of elk hunting are never far from my mind. Of course I have probably always had attention deficit, they just did not call it that way back then.  Ken