Author Topic: Elk Stand  (Read 7600 times)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: Elk Stand
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 10:04:02 pm »
What..ELK...ELK...What did you say... ELK...Elk...Elk wallows.... elk bugles... elk... guess i lost my concentration for a moment.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 11:41:02 pm »
Now, I've got the fever again. Been looking at pics of the hunt Kenneth invited me on....

and the horse he rode out on! ;D

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 11:59:19 pm »
Thanks a lot Pat ;) now I won't be able to sleep without dreaming of elk camp...looks like a good time to me brother.. nothing at all like stalking elk in the wilderness.. nothing compares to calling rutting warriors.. Hawk

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 12:26:52 am »
I can't wait to try that Mike. Unfortunately the elk weren't cooperating when I was there.  ...but, one day I was coming down from the wallow and heard a bull or the opposite ridge bugling and coming down to Salt creek. I took off running down hill hitting a lick on my cow call with every bugle. I beat him to the bottom, set up a stand overlooking the creek and waited for him to bust out of the bushes. He was bugling every 10 seconds or so. But, before he hit the opening,........he turned down stream, bugling all the way but never came into the clear. ???  That was the most exciting 5 minutes of my life!!! My hunt was a success!
This is the angle of the hill I ran down. That is the Salt Creek Trail you see in the pic.

Pleasant dreams! >:D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 12:28:35 am »
 Salt Creek trail with Salt Creek below.  Sunny side on the left, dark side on the right...and camp just down stream.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 01:42:51 am by Pat B »

Offline Keenan

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 12:07:24 pm »
There goes my mind ::) ::) :-\  Won't be able to think for another 5 months now ::)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Little John

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 12:18:23 pm »
You guys are making it hard for me to concentrate.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 07:47:45 pm »
STOP IT PLEASE! I can't go on any longer.. all these wallows, dark timber , and stories of big bulls.... I think my neck is swelling and my velvet is about to come off.. somebody please make it stop!!Hawk

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline david w.

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 07:56:04 pm »
Beautiful.

I would love to hunt elk someday.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 01:40:09 pm »
David, Just keep thinking that way and some day a friend will take you to the elk woods. It only took me 35 years before I made it(at 56 years old)...and it was worth every minute I waited!.  ;D 8)
  Keenan, that first wallow looked more like a lake than a wallow! ::) I thought the one I posted was big!
  it is funny how come late August I get the urge to pee on every tree and bare ground I see. ;D