Author Topic: Thinning bamboo backing from rind side? Full draw added.  (Read 6532 times)

Offline Red Dwarf

Thinning bamboo backing from rind side? Full draw added.
« on: February 19, 2009, 04:26:14 pm »
I am trying to build a bamboo backed hickory flatbow for my son. Tha bamboo I have comes form a smaller diameter palm and so is thicker than I would have liked for the width required. I am at the tillering stage and am finding that the hickory is getting thinner than I would like in relation to the thickness of the bamboo; can I thin the bamboo by removing material from the back of the bow? (The rind side).

Red Dwarf
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:38:58 pm by Red Dwarf »

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Thinning bamboo backing from rind side?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:30:24 pm »
Don't think I'd do that. If you trap it pretty heavy it might help.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 04:31:14 pm »
not unless you plan to put another backing over that.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 05:55:40 pm »
I would'nt do that if I  where you, I tried that on my first bamboo backing, and it was a disaster
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 08:10:56 pm »
Red Dwarf....is the Boo already glued down?? If not use a Belt Sander and reduce it....if it is glued down....I would heat it off....and reduces it....then re-glue it....taking anything from the Rind Side...will be devastating....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Red Dwarf

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 11:30:28 pm »
How about cane fly rods? The bamboo is reduced to straight sections and they seem to hold together just fine.
Just a thought..

Red Dwarf

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 11:44:54 pm »
Yes but rod makers stagger the nodes and iron them flat so the weak spots are very minimal and spaced far apart. There is nowhere near the node violation you would have by completely severing a node across a high stress area.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 12:52:54 am »
What glue did you use?  If TBIII you can heat it to 150 deg(F) and the glue will release.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Red Dwarf

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 11:05:48 am »
I used Urac 185!
Thinning the bamboo further from the "inside" face would have resulted in the bambo being narrower than the belly slat, but, with the benefit of hindsight, that would have been better than what I have now.

Red Dwarf

Offline Jesse

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 11:43:47 am »
Do you have any pics? I would just finish the bow and see how it comes out. If its only thinner than the boo out at the tips  you can leave those a little stiff. You can trap the boo and thin the limbs a little also.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 01:07:50 pm »
When I'm building a bamboo backed bow, I don't really touch the outside of the bamboo anymore. You have to thin it enough, before you glue it up as a backing. I used to sand down the nodes quite a bit, but I usually don't even touch them anymore. Now, i just lightly scrap or sand off the milky outer rind, so the bamboo will take a stain or finish. If you get to aggressive, you will violate the power fibers of the bamboo, and this usually results in failure.

Offline Red Dwarf

Re: Thinning bamboo backing from rind side? Tiller picture added.
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 04:02:46 pm »
Well, I figured I had nothing to lose so I went ahead and thinned the bamboo by around 1/16 keeping the same thickness difference at the nodes. Here is a picture pulling 20# at 18 1/2". This one is for my son and I am hoping for 22# @ 22".
To me it looks like I could do with a little more bend at the fades/inner 3rd; what do you guys think?
The profile is 1 1/4" at the fades with a straight taper to 1/2" nocks. 56" ntn.
Red Dwarf

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 04:06:09 pm »
you could come in on the right limb a bit more near the handle but other than that is looks quite good.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Red Dwarf

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 07:38:00 pm »
No one is more surprised that I am to see that she made it to full draw.
Here is a picture of my son pulling 22# @ 22". I am very pleased with the way it shoots and am hoping that it stays in one piece.
I think I should have thinned the bamboo a little more on the lower limb (on the left) as it has taken more set than the upper, where the boo was already a little thinner to start with.
If it still looks good after 100 or so shots I will go ahead and try my 1st staining job.

Red Dwarf

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Easternarcher

Re: Thinning bamboo backing from rind side? Full draw added.
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 09:00:39 am »
I'm pleased to see that it is holding for you as well!
I don't know if the lower limb is taking set, it looks like the tiller is off that's all. The upper limb is stiffer than the lower in those pics.
Nice looking bow tho.....congratz.