Author Topic: Thinning bamboo backing from rind side? Full draw added.  (Read 6533 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Re: Thinning bamboo backing from rind side? Full draw added.
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 10:41:29 am »
I'm pleased your bow worked out, just shows, nothing is certain in the world of bow making!!! best to go with the feelings, its good to get advice but anything is possible,( even though I'm suprised the boo did'nt break)
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 11:35:53 am »
I'm glad to see that it worked out.  I'm not surprised to see that it did.  I didn't realize you were shooting for such a low weight.  I don't worry about grain much at all on those low weights.  If that bow was #40 it might be different all together. Nice looking bow for your son, congratulations.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Rich Saffold

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 12:43:06 pm »
Red Dragon, LIke you were thinking, the bamboo doesn't always have to be as wide as the belly piece as long as the crown of the  bamboo runs down the center of the bow. If this is a small gap you can smooth this transition between the two pieces and having the belly be wider than the bamboo backing isn't a problem..

Ipe D or Elb style bellies match up well with these small diameter bamboos, and 3/4" to an inch width will easily make bows from 60 to 100#'s.