Author Topic: Bopping Chert - newbie  (Read 4784 times)

Offline BowKids

Bopping Chert - newbie
« on: February 19, 2009, 05:06:22 pm »
Hi all, I am a newbie knapper. Been bustin rock for a couple weeks with some hammer stones just to get the feel. Got some copper boppers recently and noticed that the chert digs into them. I set up a roughed up isolated platform and give it a 90 degree whack and it leaves a trace of copper on the rock, gouges the bopper. Is that the wrong tool or is that normal?

Found a lot of field chert where I live here in northern Missouri. Probably not the best quality but good for learning.

Offline xin

Re: Bopping Chert - newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 07:56:38 pm »
Use angles less than 90 degrees. You will then get some good flakes.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 09:37:19 pm »
Yup, ninety degrees is too shallow. You want to drive flakes through the stone to at least half way across for thinning. The stone will bite into the copper but that's ok. You need that copper to hold for just that split second to send the shock wave through the stone. Setting up platforms and getting the angles right are key. If you could find somebody to sit with or watch some videos you'd be lightyears ahead :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

PeteDavis

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 09:57:24 pm »
Percussion's the hardest thing. I'm still in the stage of partial demolition. By the way, pressure's easily practiced on glass. Raw flint, makes a man of ya'. PD

Offline cowboy

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 10:02:56 pm »
Durn, that's a nice point Mr.Pete :). Seems like I've watched you become one of the masters ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

PeteDavis

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 10:23:07 pm »
Thanks Paul. Your are generous. Glass is a sorta headstart but I've only done a few of 'em. Back to rock to really learn.

I posted this one over on PP so I'll apologize for the redundancy. But it's an older scrap of glass I found in the holler last week. It's glass that they used Manganese Oxide to clear up the melt, and the MnO absorbs UV light and turns purple over the years. I was quite pleased with this 'un-it goes to my girlfriend for keeping now. PD

Offline cowboy

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 11:12:04 pm »
Sheesh man, your on a roll - that's purty!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 11:40:43 pm »
  That's pretty, Pete.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline billy

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 10:49:32 am »
Pete,

You need to send those ugly points of yours to me....IMMEDIATELY!!   ;)
Marietta, Georgia

PeteDavis

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 07:51:18 pm »
Obsidian makes me bleed. Anyone ever percuss a 5/16ths slab? I wonder if that would work. I can't get the flakes to travel. PD

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 09:15:37 pm »
 I watched Claude and Bonepile do it today. I came home and started one myself. Somebody at the knap-in was selling some Super, heat treated pin-head coral slabs for about $4 for an 8" piece.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 11:08:52 pm »
Man that some nice work there Pete.  I hope to make some flakes this weekend my self.  I'd like to say I have a free weekend, but the wife's got too many honey-do's in the Que.  Something about me being gone for a year makes her think I'll fall behind. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck