Author Topic: Why 2-fletch?  (Read 14998 times)

coyote pup

Why 2-fletch?
« on: February 20, 2009, 03:19:01 pm »
I've noticed the 2-fletched arrows are somewhat popular. But I wonder, is there any practical reason to put 2 feathers on instead of 3?  What would you use a 2-fletch for that you wouldn't use a 3-fletch for?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Why 2-fletch?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 03:58:35 pm »
One less feather! ;D   
   The two fletch is a Native American(maybe world wide) style of fletching. All the feathers are for on an arrow is steering and straightening out the arrow after it leaves the bow.
   There are many styles of fletching. I like trying different style to see how they work. The 2 fletch worked well enough for me that I made all of my hunting arrows last season with either a Cherokee style 2 fletch or a hybrid style 2 fletch.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 04:01:23 pm »
I've used 2 fletch with rivercane and tonkin bamboo with good results. It's easy to do and doesn't require a fletching jig. You also get to utilize tail feathers and secondaries. My limited reading is that the Cherokee and Seminoles used it successfully.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 04:45:29 pm »
What they said-takes less feathers, works good, is a correct local historical style for many areas, and is usually a quicker and easier method of fletching. You could also ask, why not? Why eat only chicken when there are other meats out there? Is there any practical reason to put three feathers on instead of two? What would you use a three-fletch for that you wouldn't use a two-fletch for? :) I use both styles (and more) and like them all.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

coyote pup

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 05:20:11 pm »
Cool. Thanks for the responses guys. So I guess there really is no reason to do it or not to do it. It would make sense, making more efficient use of your feathers. fletch 10 arrows with 20 feathers instead of 30. I like it. And I gather that it works just as well as a 3 fletch, so I agree-why not.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 12:39:03 am »
Pat, I'd love to see pictures of you Cherokee and hybrid 2-fletched arrows.   :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 01:40:09 am »
You guys need to check out the "Best Arrow Set" posts in the ARROWS area and check out Pat's arrows.
(dang!....I guess people miss the most obvious things.....)

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 10:04:10 pm »
I saw some somewhere that looked interesting.  They split the cane, cut the quill off the feather and cut it to about 6 inches long and slid it into the cane and wrapped it front and back.  I may have to try a few of them.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 11:21:32 pm »
  The question might ought to be, " why Three fletch instead of Two?"  I imagine Three fletch came from Europe.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 11:57:10 pm »
Madcrow, this arrow was done like you described. It flies pretty good too.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 12:00:36 am »
...and here is another 3 fletch type that uses feathers most folks don't think about...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 11:35:18 am »
Pat, I like those three-feather radial fetches, too-and they work great with even small, flimsy feathers. I find myself using Eastern Woodlands fletching styles more all the time.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 11:55:05 am »
I love those arrows, Hillbilly.  Thanks for posting.  They answered a few questions I had.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 11:47:55 pm »
mine dont get as delicate as these seasoned guys are. i dont have the patience i just cut em and tie em on like you would 3 fletchings. flies pretty well and staright
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Traxx

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 02:53:56 am »
I believe 3 fletch came about,as a result of folks gettin caught in a down pour.They still had enough layed down fletch with 3,or if they lost a fletch,they still had enough to keep em flyin.I use a 2 fletch,and group em with my 3 fletch,even with broadheads.I believe,that the key to sucessfull 2 fletch,is to have well tuned arrows.The big 3 fletch can cover up or improve untuned arrows,especially with broadheds.You get an arrow properly tuned n you dont need the whole bird on the end of an erra to get it to fly straight.