Author Topic: Why 2-fletch?  (Read 14999 times)

Offline Traxx

Re: Why 2-fletch?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 03:00:20 am »
By the way,My 2 fletch arrows,i use a 4" feather.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 05:13:08 pm »
A point of clarification for me....when you 2 fletch, you strap on the nock end first, with the feather pointed the wrong way, then flip it towards the point and attach the leading end (quill end)?

Right?  If so, why is this attachment method necessary?  Does it impart a particular shape to the feather?

Sorry, just new to this and I wasn't able to clearly see the methodoloy in the photos.

D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 06:22:36 pm »
The method you described is only one method. Done like this  you can pull the forward end tight so the feather lays flat to the shaft and the folded end will secure the feathers so they don't slip. Then you finish the forward wrap to secure the feathers. I sometimes attach the forward end first(without folding) and pull from the rear.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 07:31:32 pm »
In my experience, two fletch arrows act funny in a cross wind....unless they are done in the NA style (like the ones posted).  Three fletches give more consistant flight.....and you can make 'em pretty short (in length or height) and still provide plenty of steering.  Also, you need to be extra careful when you do a two-fletch so it doesn't look funny.  Three fletches are more forgiving.

To answer your question, I think the best reasons for two fletch are that it's faster to fletch and uses less material.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Traxx

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 09:07:18 pm »
Actually,
Gordy Mickens and Jim Neaves,have done extensive studies on the effect of crosswind,on 2 fletched arrows.They concluded,that the 2 fletch drifted less than the 3 fletch.Like Jim says,about his setup.I only have a 25" draw,so i cant afford to give up any performance in my setup.He has used 2 fletch exclusively for the last few yrs,for all his big game kills.I cant count how many times,i have had people look sideways at my arrows.Even had em tell me,they wouldnt fly worth a damn.Gotta love that,when they have never seen em fly.I generally leave em standin there,with their jaw dropped n speachless.LOL
We're not talkin bout a Native style 2 fletch here,but 2 parabolic feathers .One on each side.Off set,with minimal helix.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 12:03:36 am »
Hmmmm...why would someone do extensive studies on the effects of crosswind on two fletched arrows?  Perhaps the same reason someone does extensive studies on watching people's jaws drop?

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;D

I used to make two fletch kid's arrows....until the kids got bored with the arrows that "make me miss the target".  That's extensive enough for me. ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 12:05:27 am »
These are 3 of my 6 hunting arrows from this past season. Two of these are a modified Cherokee 2 fletch and the third is a 2 fletch with my burn pattern feathers. I put a 180deg twist in the 2 fletch when tied on.  

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Traxx

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 02:13:05 am »
Hmmmm...why would someone do extensive studies on the effects of crosswind on two fletched arrows?

Maybe to document the facts,cause they got sick of people tellin em,they wouldnt work,even though the proof was right in front of em.
 ;D,Sorry,couldnt resist.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 09:59:43 am »
I think like Traxx said if your arrows are well tuned to your bow then fletching becomes less critical.
I also have a a 25" draw and I'm interested in getting better performance so it makes sense to minimize drag
on the arrow by reducing the amount of fletching, whether you use 2 or 3 fletch.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 12:30:32 pm »
If you look at an arrow, point on, you can see the amount of wind resistance your fletchng has. I'd bet some of the 2 fletch will have as much or more drag(wind resistance) as a 3 fletch, especially if you added helical to the 2fletch.
  Like with fluflus, some folks thing 6 full width feathers as a fluflu will slow an arrow better than a single feather spiraled around the shaft. Sight down the two twpes of fluflus and see which one would have more wind resistence. The spiral fluflu covers the entire space around the shaft where as the 6 straight fletched fluflu has 6 blank spaces for the air to flow.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 02:08:35 pm »
Patrick, I've never seen much difference in accuracy myself. I use both styles and like them both, but don't feel that one will "make you miss the target" more than the other one if equal care is used in fletching them and the shafts are good. I think the bad rap that two-fletched arrows get sometimes is because someone just stuck two feathers on a second-rate arrowshaft and it didn't fly right. If you just stick three feathers on your arrows without rhyme or reason, they will flit around like drunken bats, too. Most of the Eastern tribes used this style of fletching, and their lives depended on how their arrows flew. And yes, they knew how to do the typical three-fletch, there were tribes all around them using it, and it shows up occasionally in the two-fletch tribes.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Dustybaer

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 04:13:43 am »
hillbilly, you're arrows are absolutely beautiful.  you continue to be an inspiration.  thanks