Author Topic: Bamboo Backed hickory  (Read 15449 times)

whitewoodshunter

Bamboo Backed hickory
« on: February 21, 2009, 12:25:58 pm »
The first step in any build is to find good raw material. I choose premium hickory sapwood and a bamboo backing 1/8 inch thick. The riser would be cherry and the tip overlays would be Jatoba.

Since this is going to be a laminated bow I would need a good glue.I choose Urac 185. I was not disiappointed.The glue was applied to both surfaces and clamped with various clamps.

Heres a couple of pics after the glue dried and the clamps removed.

Next the jotoba was shaped and glue on.

Next I marked out the whole bow in 2 inch incremits.The bow would have a 4 inch handle with 2 inch handle fade outs.It would be 1 inch wide.Next the handle was shaped to rough dimensions The overall length was 70 inches.

Next the bow was floor tillered. I won't go into to much detail here because everything went smooth and routine.
The handle and tips where shaped next. I cut the nocks in and did a quick sanding.

Now came the hard part: tillering. this was done mainly with a scaper and a razor blade.I was shooting for 50 #at 26 ". The bow Actually tiller very well and went pretty smoothly back to 25"

At 25 I ran into a problem. the bow was pulling 47# and the tiller looked good, but I noticed the bamboo back was starting to lift a splinter. I soaked the area in super glue and wrapped the area with a linen patch.I would wrap the area in artificial sinew and add one to the lower limb for the sake of appearance.

After the bow was patched I didn't have any problems with the area. The bow tillered out at 52 @ 26". I figured the bow would loose a couple pounds in sanding and shooting in.

Heres the bow at brace.The grip wrap is tanned fox squirrel skin.

The finish is mini wax wipe on poly. Heres the bow at full draw. ( sorry about the Beard LOL)

The bow shot fast and accurate. I even managed a Robin Hood shot on my 4 th arrow. The finished weight was 49 lbs.Sorry some of the pics are fuzzy and the build was not very informative, but I hate typing!!!!I hope this helps someone out there.

whitewoodshunter

Re: Bamboo Backed hickory
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 06:12:38 pm »
Lots of lookers but no comments. Did I do something wrong?

Offline JustAim

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 07:49:09 pm »
Not sure if anything l say means anything to ya, but l think you did a fine job on that bow :) Well done ;) And what was the distance on the robin hood shot?  - Matt

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 07:53:28 pm »
20 yards.It was a freak shot I don't usually shoot that good. LOL

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 09:46:02 pm »
I wa hoping to see you flattening out the boo.  I seem to always mess that one up.  Other than that, it looks like you have a real nice shooter there.

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 10:18:04 pm »
Madcrow: That the easy part for me I make a jig out of steel ,1/8 inch thick,and lay the bamboo in the jig, and then go over it with a belt sander.Walla you get a 1/8 inch bamboo backing.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 12:34:17 am »
Nice looking bow.  I love the 1/8 steel jig idea.  I've been trying to figure out how I could an 1/8 hickory backing without a table saw or planer.  I think that would work.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 11:43:51 pm »
when using the differant types of clamps,arent you afraid of getting differant clamping pressures.which in turn may cause an issue with adhesion?
just curious.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 06:38:11 pm »
Even if you have 2 of the same clamp can you actually ever get them to tighten the the same?

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 08:18:17 pm »
@wwh
that is a bad bow - she destroyed your arrow ;)

Looks like a fine bow!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 01:25:12 am »
i have always used the ol inner tube as a clamp
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

radius

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 05:05:08 pm »
the first robin hood shot is cool...after that, it's just another broken arrow...

Offline Jesse

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 10:21:55 pm »
Looks like a great bow. I might have to try your bamboo thinning method
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

radius

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 09:41:03 pm »
i like that idea, too, man, ur smart...

so do you make the jig the exact dimensions (width and length) as the bow, so the bamboo is sharp at the tips?

radius