Author Topic: Primitive bowfishing and why it's often overlooked...  (Read 14818 times)

Offline Bushman452

Primitive bowfishing and why it's often overlooked...
« on: February 23, 2009, 08:29:04 pm »
Primitive bowhunting's cool and all but what about bowfishing. I've seen so many footage of Bear Grylls hunting fish with a bow that he himself made. I want to try that too for my first bow.
Rabbit eating, deer killing barbaric savage of the Commonwealth.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: Primitive bowfishing and why it's often overlooked...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 08:52:18 pm »
I hunt carp here in Wyoming with my bows... just tie a piece of heavy string( usually nylon) to my leg.. the other end to the arrow and hunt all day.. I learned the hard way not to tie the string to my bow... ended up with a fifteen pound carp dragging the bow out into deep water.. had to go swimming to get the bow and arrow back :'(  heavy hardwood arrows work great.. with broadheads and goose feathers.. happy fishing brother.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 09:09:58 pm »
sounds good, got to try it.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Bushman452

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 09:16:18 pm »
Anyone here have some primitive bowfishing photos they like to share.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:36:24 pm »
i went this year with jst an arrow and my selfbow.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline PeteC

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 01:37:47 pm »
One of my favorite "off season" hunts is going after tilapia with self -equipment.These fish are nothing like bowfishin' roughfish,they make you hunt them,as they are always lookin' around,just like they're lookin' for you.They are great eatin',and we can usually take enough to fill the freezer.I'll take some pics this year of a few of our hunts,which is right around the corner,I might add. Good huntin', and God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 02:11:32 pm »
I would all the time if I had somewhere to fish around here. But alas, I'm not so lucky. After highschool maybe...?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 04:33:01 pm »
When I was in Indiana (on a job) I made myself a primitive carp-fishing set up.  It was a red oak board bow with an arrow made from a  3/8" red oak dowel.  The arrowhead was a 1/8" diameter steel rod (about 10" long) bent into a "J" and pounded flat and sharpened to a point.  I split the end of the dowel about two inches deep, carved a cavity for the rod, flattened the rod at the base so it wouldn't pull out, and wrapped it with wire.  I tied the string to the nock end of the arrow....eliminating the need for fletching....about 10-15 feet of heavy jute twine (other strings seemed to get tangled during the shooting)... and tied the other end to my wrist (bow hand).

I would approach the water's edge slowly, spot a carp, drop the string in front of me, making sure the string was draped over my bow arm, and shoot broadside just below the centerline and just behind the gill.  I would wait for the carp to rise very near the surface of the water before I took a shot....deeper water throws off the perspective and you'll end up shooting too high.

If you miss the vitals and hit muscle, the carp will fight like the devil to get free of the arrow.

Great fun  ;D....and good eats.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 04:42:14 pm »
yeah true that perspective thing has led me to miss dozens of carp, i managed to kill one a few years ago, i hit it through the back while wading, i didnt have any rig and was just shooting an arrow, i "tracked" it down and wrestled it out of the water and killed it up on shore.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 04:45:52 pm »
Dang Hunter!  That's as primitive as it gets. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 04:52:24 pm »
hate to say it was an old bear whitetail hunter 2 though....but i was hunting as if it was a longbow...that was a few years ago though as i said, no more wheels for me, ever.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 08:29:32 pm »
i've been thinking for a couple months about carving a barbed point out of antler and attaching it to a cane arrow.  hope i have time to get around to it this spring.  should make for a heck of a hunt.  will keep ya'll updated.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline woodsman1031

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 11:37:06 am »
When I was in Indiana (on a job) I made myself a primitive carp-fishing set up.  It was a red oak board bow with an arrow made from a  3/8" red oak dowel.  The arrowhead was a 1/8" diameter steel rod (about 10" long) bent into a "J" and pounded flat and sharpened to a point.  I split the end of the dowel about two inches deep, carved a cavity for the rod, flattened the rod at the base so it wouldn't pull out, and wrapped it with wire.  I tied the string to the nock end of the arrow....eliminating the need for fletching....about 10-15 feet of heavy jute twine (other strings seemed to get tangled during the shooting)... and tied the other end to my wrist (bow hand).

I would approach the water's edge slowly, spot a carp, drop the string in front of me, making sure the string was draped over my bow arm, and shoot broadside just below the centerline and just behind the gill.  I would wait for the carp to rise very near the surface of the water before I took a shot....deeper water throws off the perspective and you'll end up shooting too high.

If you miss the vitals and hit muscle, the carp will fight like the devil to get free of the arrow.

Great fun  ;D....and good eats.

Jackcrafty,
  Would you please post a picture of the fishing arrowhead?

Tommy
Jesus Saves!

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 01:23:58 am »
hmmm carp skin backing?  I don't know how it measures up in toughness to sturgon, but it seems prett tough to me.  Anyone tried this.  It's been a few years since I bow fished and it was with a wheelie, but it's a heck of a lot of fun.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Bushman452

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 01:37:46 am »
How's about gar backing cause it's tougher than carp and just as tough as sturgeon. But seriously folks sturgeon, aren't those fish supposed to be protected and stuff.