Author Topic: paddlefish backing  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Timo

paddlefish backing
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:19:56 pm »
Done a few of these over the years and figured some of you might want to see what they looked like. Similar to sturgeon only not much pattern.Very close to flathead catfish,but mostly grey/white. I used to catch several of these fish, but now I just rely on the locals to bring me a few every spring season.

The skins are very good for holding a bow together like rawhide, but give a bow a very primitive look, and they all turn out different.Just finished this lil bow up for myself,it was riddled with back checks,so I opted for these. It'll hold her.

Offline Dano

Re: paddlefish backing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 11:10:01 pm »
Nice, not a bad lookin skin. I know JD would be proud of that handle wrap. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 11:19:01 pm »
Ah Yes ....the Dreaded Spoonbill Catfish....I have caught a bunch of them in The Nations in Oklahoma at Lake Eufaula....I never even thought about keeping the Hides for a Bow Backing....seeing as how greasy the Fish are....but I have eaten tons of Caviar from them....and the Steaks are pretty good ....if cooked right.....I Will have to head back to McAlester and try my luck snagging a few this Spring!!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:23:51 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 12:13:40 am »
fine looking bows ;D keep it up

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 02:29:42 am »
Dat look nice.I do one of them.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 02:29:41 pm »
That looks nice, maybe I need to start saving up skins when I filet the bluegills and sunfish I catch ice fishing. It would be like a patchwork fish quilt. lol
VB

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 03:51:48 pm »
That looks good, Tim. I like seeing ideas for different backings,very cool.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Timo

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 06:09:23 pm »
Hillbilly, I plan on getting several more of these skins this spring.I'll save ya a pair ifin youd like to try it?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 07:03:15 pm »
Hillbilly, I plan on getting several more of these skins this spring.I'll save ya a pair ifin youd like to try it?

Twist my arm!  ;D ;D Sounds good, Tim, thanks.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 07:46:49 pm »
Timo: could tell us the prep of these skins from stringer to bow?

I've never used fish, only rawhide or snake.

Do you dry the skins?

Do raccoons follow you around the woods when hunting that bow?

Offline full quiver

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 10:33:56 pm »
Just last week I was searching for your post about carp,& was wondering about paddlefish & gar.

Very nice.
Donnie

Offline Timo

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 10:57:04 pm »
I've tried many kinds of fish skins,and treat them all the same.

Scaled fish(carp, etc)  must be scaled before you skin them.

Scrape/flesh skins very well,being sure to remove all oil pockets.I scrape with a fine serrated butter knife,kinda works like a tootheing plane.

Scrub skins with a stiff brush and in dawn dish soap,rinse well,wash again,rinse well.

Keep both sides of the fish together,cause colors/patterns vary between fish. measure and freeze,being sure to label them.

I've found that fresh skins lay down alot better than dried skins.

If you have to dry them, lay them out flat on a slick board of such.I like cabinet shelving,(melamine) ?(sp), It's very slick and the skins,once dry will come off better.With the flesh side down,and tack them out,stretching as you go. Keep your tacks close and you'll get a better job.Keep a fan blowing air over them and they will dry perty quick.After dry pull tacks,trim edges,roll up and store in a freezer bag.No need to freeze them for they will keep. Apply them like rawhide.(I always thin mine on the belt sander before I apply dried skins.)

A note about grass carp skins if you are gonna dry them: Once tacked down take a dull putty knife and run it down the skins  along the scales,(head to tail) It will lay the scale pattern in place.

If you apply raw skins,it takes alot of babysitting until they set well, so make sure you have plenty of time.

Some of you noodlers out there need to be sure and keep you flathead skins.Really cool stuff there boys,and tough as ground hog! :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 11:29:32 pm »
Tim, I always loved seeing your skinned bows. 8) The carp is my favorite but the paddle fish looks cool too. A lot like halibut.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC