Author Topic: Tricks?  (Read 6739 times)

Offline Kegan

Tricks?
« on: February 24, 2009, 10:14:00 pm »
Well, I'm running out of new ideas. I've jsut been trying ideas that Hill and Ferguson have done. Shooting in a variety of positions, moving targets, cutting strings, foot shot, two arrows, backwards, mirror shot, and ricochet.

Anything else I could try? In June I'll have a chance to do some trick shooting for a friend who's raising money for Relay for Life. I'd like to be able to keep going for a while without having to do the same ones over and over and over. Any thoughts?

Also, what sort of material can I get to hang up to catch my blunt arrows?

Any and all help is much appreciated :).

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: Tricks?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 11:02:26 pm »
you could shoot helium balloons on strings.. they are fun.. plus if you fill them with acetylene and use flaming arrows it really makes the impact cool >:D 8)
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:17:05 pm »
oh yeah that stuffs loud....try the aspirin shot yet?
Modern Day Tramp

kdub

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 11:53:29 pm »
Shoot an arrow up in the air, then shoot another to deflect the first arrow and put it on the bulls eye.  Robin Hood did it.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 12:37:56 am »
If you really want to impress the crowd.  Shoot an arrow at a target 50 yards away, then run and catch it before it hits! ;D ;D ;D ;D :P
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 02:06:40 am »
Do a machine, domino effect shoot.  Shoot a target that causes a chain reaction to release a moving target for you to shoot.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 10:02:24 am »
Watch some of Bryon Fergusons videos on youtube, I liked his triple bank shot.

I couple pieces of old carpet hanging loose should stop the blunts just fine.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 02:09:53 pm »
Thanks guys! I like the "chain trap shoot". The shot into the air could get me in trouble though :D!

Huntertrapper- to date the smallest I've hit was a bottle cap thrown into the air. I have to get something set up so I can shoot small targets when they reach their apex without worrying about losing my arrows (like Dana said- old carpet). Usually I try to catch the thing on the way down :P.

Offline Barrage

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 03:20:12 pm »
Check out TrophyBow1 (I think that's right) on YouTube.  He's a Finnish guy that is very, very amazing with a bow.  So are his 3 and 5 year old kids actually, as in his 5 yr old shoots stuff out of the air.  There are a couple of him trying to light a bic lighter with an arrow.  Probably impossible as the arrow would put it out right away, but in slow mo you can see he actually gets it to spark without busting the lighter.  Anyway, he does a lot of neat stuff, check it out!  :)  Definitely inspires you to shoot better!
Travis

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 07:46:49 pm »
Check out TrophyBow1 (I think that's right) on YouTube.  He's a Finnish guy that is very, very amazing with a bow.  So are his 3 and 5 year old kids actually, as in his 5 yr old shoots stuff out of the air.  There are a couple of him trying to light a bic lighter with an arrow.  Probably impossible as the arrow would put it out right away, but in slow mo you can see he actually gets it to spark without busting the lighter.  Anyway, he does a lot of neat stuff, check it out!  :)  Definitely inspires you to shoot better!

My computer is slow and doesn't load youtube or any video :P

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 07:14:01 pm »
Here's this for a neat trick.

A small lever arm, with a little bull's eye on the bottom. On the other end of the lever is a balloon. The little bull's eye is shot, flipping the balloon slowly into the air, and you draw and shoot the balloon as it falls.

How's that sound?

Offline Barrage

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 11:16:49 am »
Try it and let us know (or better yet take video lol)
Travis

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 01:43:43 pm »
Try it and let us know (or better yet take video lol)

I will! I jsut need to find a friend who can load videos for me :).

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 02:05:56 pm »
Why waste your time on tricks when you could be conducting tests!!!

There's always debate on the following topics:

Do slightly crooked arrows fly just as good as perfectly straight ones?
Are two fletches just as good as three or four?
Are longer arrows easier to aim?
Are VERY long arrows easier to aim?
How does bone compare to stone (arrowheads) for penetration? For cutting flesh?
What penetrates better, serrated edged or straight edged arrowheads?
How much arrow spine variance can you shoot with before you see a noticeable difference in shooting under 40 yrds? 30 yrds? 20 yrds?
How much fletching length variance can you shoot with before you see a noticeable difference in shooting under 40 yrds? 30 yrds? 20 yrds?
How much arrowhead width variance can you shoot with before you see a noticeable difference in shooting under 40 yrds? 30 yrds? 20 yrds?
How much overall arrow weight variance can you shoot with before you see a noticeable difference in shooting under 40 yrds? 30 yrds? 20 yrds?
How much bowstring weight variance can you shoot with before you see a noticeable difference in shooting under 40 yrds? 30 yrds? 20 yrds?

Many of these questions have been answered, but only a handful of people are doing the testing....and they are sometimes biased.  There's always a need for more data.

Oh, but to answer your question, make a bunch of soft-pointed arrows that can be used to shoot yourself and your buddies and a whole new world of possibilities opens up.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Kegan

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 05:49:55 pm »
Why waste your time on tricks when you could be conducting tests!!!

Because I'm a big show-off  ;)!