Author Topic: BL sapwood running into the hardwood  (Read 2871 times)

Offline hedgeapple

BL sapwood running into the hardwood
« on: February 25, 2009, 01:35:25 pm »
Guys, I really appreciate all the help you've been giving me.  I hope I don't wear out my welcome with all my questions.  I'm attempting to chase a ring on a BL stave.  I'm finding that the sapwood makes dip into the hardwood.  Should I just leave the back of the bow smooth and allow the sapwood to feather into the hardwood?  It would be pretty that way.  Or, should I work to gauge it out?

The gold arrow in the pic is where I worked the sapwood out.  The green arrows are where the sapwood is exposed in the hardwood.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: BL sapwood running into the hardwood
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 01:39:49 pm »
Is there not a delineation between the two? It probably won't be a problem. BL is pretty strong in tension. If you are concerned go to the next ring.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 01:43:00 pm »
It looks like just a funky dip in the heartwood ring from what I can see in the pic, pretty common in locust. I usually scrape everything out of the divot down to the ring when that happens. It might be ok, but it might pop loose when you start bending it, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 02:13:10 pm »
Thanks guys.  Not having a band saw, I removed about 3 rings from the belly side yesterday to give me a flat surface instead of a wedge stave.  So, I practiced chasing rings while I was removing this wood.  It there were sapwood dips in all those rings, also.

Edited: Sapwood might not be the correct term for the lighter color ring between the darker rings.

Would there be any problem with leaving the sapwood, if it pulls out during earlier tillering stage, could I remove it then?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 06:08:40 pm by hedgeapple »
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:36:18 am »
I think you mean early wood not sapwood. Use some sand paper or a curved scraper of some sort like the tip of a pocket knife and get it out of there.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:05:35 am »
Gooseneck scraper should take care of the valleys. I would keep it all  one ring to be safe.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 01:02:06 pm »
Thanks Ryano and Tracy F.  I've work farther down the stave and valley is disappearing.  The only issue I see it the valley is probably right where the tip of the bow will be.  I'll just need to allow for that during the tiller process so that tip isn't so thin.  If it causes a problem with the nock I can always add an inlay.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 01:49:56 pm »
If it is at the tip, a non-working(non-bending) section, it should not be a problem.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC