Author Topic: Black walnut questions.  (Read 2701 times)

bearbowman

Black walnut questions.
« on: February 26, 2009, 02:01:48 pm »
I just aquired a black walnut stave. I don't have pics to post yet.
I want to know if you have to chase a ring. The bark is removed and it looks good. i would love to have some of the sapwood and purple heart in the bow. I just think it would look good.
I guess my only question at this point is, do I need to chase a ring or can I use the wood right under the bark for the back?

Offline TRACY

Re: Black walnut questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 02:06:36 pm »
You can do both depending on how much or little work you want to put into it. As long as you stick with one ring. Twisted Limb did a heartwood walnut bow here a while back.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 03:05:01 pm »
As Tracy said, either way will work. With BW staves I usually just remove the bark and use what's under it as the back or use the heartwood for a belly core with a backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 08:37:05 pm »
i prefer to scrape it down to the heartwood, but that is my preference. you can just peel the bark and go if you wish.  here is a pic of that walnut recurve i did tracy mentioned- Ryan

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:58:29 pm »
Ryan, that is very nice. Is it a self bow or sinew backed?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 04:08:33 pm »
If the wood is already cured with bark on I would reccomend just debarking and using that as the back. I harvested a couple that I thought were elm and when I got them split out realized it was walnut. I processed one right off the bat and took it to the heartwood. Then I did another one about 4 mo later and I must say I won't do that again, talk abiout tough once the saps down and the sap wood hardens. The other two I have will be just deabrked and be a sapwood/heartwood combo. I intend to do one real soon. I thought the heavy white /dark contrast might look cool too. I will post it as soon as it is done.

Does anyone have suggestions on walnut? What I mean is, how is it to work with and is it very durable? given the dimensions of 66" 1.5 fades pyramid style, is 60#@28 a reasonable expectation?  Also do you need to try and chase a ring on the all heartwood staves or what?

Ryan, beautiful job on that one. Makes you wonder why more people are working with it. Does anyone have an opinion as to why? Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 07:30:44 pm »
thanks for the compliments guys, it is completely unbacked- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive