Author Topic: Tuning a selfbow?  (Read 6129 times)

Offline Kegan

Tuning a selfbow?
« on: February 26, 2009, 06:48:12 pm »
Okay, Since you're bulding the bow, it's built you be shot however you finish it out as, correct? Final brace is what teh wood would settle at and what not.

Is there really anything you have to 'tune' besides arrows and nocking point with selfbows after you finish the thing out?

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: Tuning a selfbow?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 07:51:21 pm »
If the bow is ready and the arrows are spined to match...all you have to tune is your self ;D I believe training your muscles and eye to work as one, is a much overlooked aspect of true accuracy... But I am no expert by any means,  Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 08:02:29 pm »
What about bare shaft tuning? There was a good article in the newest edition of PA about tuning.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 08:05:27 pm »
Hawk is right. Once you put a string on and have it tillered out to full draw the bow is tuned. Arrow tuning is more important but that has to do with arrows not bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:29:03 pm »
I read that article about bare shaft tuning. when using this method I would think you need to shoot with the bow vertical to get the answers right? If you canted the bow hard it might look like you have a nock point issue when really its the arrow spine. Or am I wrong? I never tried it. 
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 06:43:26 pm »
Thanks guys. I have a quiver of bareshafts, ranging in spine from 55-60 to 85-90, which I use with a new bow to see what spine arrows it shoots and to find the right nocking point (which, for me, is usually almost square- I don't actually check where it is, just how the arrows fly).

I was jsut curious because I had read about tuning fiberglass longbows and recurves- and about halfway thorgh I stopped and looked over at the rack of selfbows and a BBO on the rack. It had never occured to me about tuning other than finding what arrows shoot best from the bow and at what nocking point.

Glad there isn't more to it than that ;D!!!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 08:17:07 pm »
I read that article about bare shaft tuning. when using this method I would think you need to shoot with the bow vertical to get the answers right? If you canted the bow hard it might look like you have a nock point issue when really its the arrow spine. Or am I wrong? I never tried it. 

Thats the way I see it too Jesse.....If you cant the Bow it would look like up and down Nocking Issues....when it would be a Spine Issue really
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome