Author Topic: Cane arrows better than dowel?  (Read 8118 times)

Arthur Herrmann

Cane arrows better than dowel?
« on: February 26, 2009, 10:58:55 pm »
I was thinking about how difficult it is to make good arrows out of dowel. I have a hard time getting dowels that have similar spine and weight. I read about this guy who only gets about 18 arrows from 100 dowel. That takes time, money, and energy that I do not have.

Does cane produce a more consistent spine and wieght? With cane you don't have to worry about the grain running off the wood to many times. If I could use a local kind of cane, if I was picky about size, I would like to get them in similar spine and weight.

Also, what is the truth with the people of the site and their arrows? Come on, I am not the only tempted by arrowwoods.com. $35 bucks for a dozen shafts within 5 pounds spine and 10 grains of each other, that is not a bad deal. All I am saying is that making dowel arrows is so difficult and discouraging to begginers that maybe buying shafts is not such a bad idea. I don't think I am the only one cheating.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cane arrows better than dowel?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:09:09 pm »
Cane is more forgiving arrow in relation to spine because of it's natural taper and quick recovery but they are time consuming to make. I enjoy my time making arrows from cane and hardwood shoots. The way I look at it is I have until next hunting season to get enough arrows made.
  There is no problem with buying shafts if that is what you would prefer to do. There is going to be an amount of work with any shafting you use before you have arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 11:16:43 pm »
only arrow shaft i have ever bought were carbon fiber
all others i either cut myself(red osier) or trade for cane.
never tried a dowl yet.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 11:59:55 pm »
Arthur
Buying matched shafts from a dealer is a much easier way to go.  You will get really nice arrows from them with a fair amount of work.  If you go to a cane shaft that you can get for free you save yourself some good money.  But the amount of work is much greater.  Also the spine and weight will vary quite a bit given the same diameter.  But if you cut a bunch you will get some that match quite well.  The cane will shoot better. But more importantly, you will probably get a much greater feeling of satisfaction from making the arrows with "natural" materials.  I used to make all of my arrows from bought shafts, and I think it was a good way to learn.  Now I am making them from shoots, and cane.  I can't see going back to the bought shafts.  It isn't nearly as much fun.  The most important thing is to do what you enjoy.
Traverse City, MI

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 03:23:09 am »
I just started making my doweling with a special taper tool. Works great! Also, try tapering the shafts from the midpoint back and make them around 3/8ths Wide and taper to 11/32". Should help reduce archers paradox.

I find when you make them yourself they always are better than store bought stuff! Plus its good for your soul and the pocket book!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 08:43:48 am »
Last year I got interested in cane after shooting some from several guys during the Tn. Classic. I soon afterwards went out and cut my own and had a dozen or so finished prior to hunting season. I had a very successful year hunting with the cane, and really enjoyed and learned a lot about arrow making during the process. I can't see me going back to shafts now, although it is easier and quicker. I enjoy taking my time and making my own now. Like Rick said, there is a feeling of satisfaction hunting totally with equipment you made yourself. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 09:10:20 am »
I shoot both matched shafting and cane. shafting for matched sets with a mininum of time (still home made arrows to be proud of) and and cane or bamboo just because I really like them but they are very time consuming and very hard to get a matched set that all shoot the same.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:30:13 am »
Think i will play the devils advocate here >:D Cane is the best shaft I have ever used, it may take a little longer to make an arrow
but the time spent is more than made up for in their durability. They don't break they might split but they will still shoot. Shoot a cedar, spruce, ash or what have you into a rock or a steel plate and the arrow is ruined, do the same with a cane shaft and the arrow lives to shoot again :)

As for making cane shafts, order yourself a bundle of 500 garden stakes and your set for many years, it don't take long to straighten a cane shaft and once straight they stay straight unlike wood shafts. If you don't sand the rind off you don't even have to seal them. So in my book cane shafts are faster to make than shoot shafts or wood shafts from splits. Store bought shafts are easy, cut to length, seal, fletch and shoot just don't hit anything hard ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 09:35:36 am »
Think i will play the devils advocate here >:D
Boy that just came natural didn't it.  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 09:43:56 am »
Nothing wrong with buying matched shafts. I took the plunge a couple of years ago and started using multiflora rose shafts and now the bale of 500 tonkin shafts. I've also traded here for rivercane and really enjoy working it into a useable arrow. I still have lots of POC and other hardwood shafts that I shoot with various bows of different weight and spine. Find what works for you so you'll enjoy your time shooting them.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 10:27:35 am »
I dont think there is any cheating. Use what works for ya and makes you happy and what you have the time and want to do.

Rest of it has been said pretty well already in my book.

I like the look and toughness of cane. I do spine and weigh my shafts as I make them and I think it totally depends on where you gather them as to how close they will match. I tend to gather 25-30 in order to get a doz good matched shafts if I am lucky and picky. sometimes not that good. Now dont get me wrong all the shafts will shoot. and many here dont bother spining and matching cane. just when I shoot for distance or during a club competition weight changes things a lot. close in or for stump shooting who cares.

I have bought shafts and used em especially when pinched for time and arrows. and have no issue with going this route. dont think it is cheating. sometimes its the only thing keeping me shooting when I dont have the time to gather and make cane.

Use what ya like and makes ya happy and keeps ya shooting in my book.

but, dana is right.. I have bounced cane off brick walls in my basement and all that happened is that the cinderblock now has a nick in it.... HA..
later
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 12:06:26 pm »
Think i will play the devils advocate here >:D
Boy that just came natural didn't it.  ;) ;D ;D ;D

;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cracker

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 12:09:21 pm »
I think everyone ought to go out and buy a wheelie bow and a bunch of carboaluminum something or others 2 or 3 thousand dollars worth of gadgets and dispose of your primitive stuff. Soooo send it all to me and I will see to it that it gets done properly.  ;D 8)
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 12:29:26 pm »
Cane. Is. The. Best. Arrow. Material. Out. There. Period. I wouldn't trade a dozen good cane shafted arrows for a hundred matched cedar shafted ones, and I'm entirely serious about that. Not too hard to make good arrow shafts once you get the hang of it. Nothing wrong with buying them, either, if that's what you like.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Arthur Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 12:09:26 am »
This far into archery, my dowel arrows have performed poorly. Keep in mind I am a new shooter. Now, with bad form, no skills, and little cash- try and make good dowel arrows. They have done nothing but frustrate me. I may get one last order of matched set orders, but after that, I want the whole nine yards.

You guys are right, they look pretty sweet. Did someone suggest that I buy "garden stakes"? Where do i get a hold of them.

And also, how does the weight turn out? I am not currently hunting, so if they are light it is not a big deal to me.

Beaver Falls is just north of PA, am I correct in saying that we do not have river cane? I have found a relative that is super light and has a real pithy center. I don't think I could use the stuff for arrows.