Author Topic: Cane arrows better than dowel?  (Read 8119 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cane arrows better than dowel?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 12:53:35 am »
My hill cane arrows for this past year are 550gr to 650gr with stone heads. My hunting bows this past year were 47# and 48#@26".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PeteC

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 09:21:34 am »
Arthur,I use 3 types of arrow shafts.In my humble opinion,cane is #1,hands down.#2 are shoot arrows,and #3 ,self- doweled shafts.Although a good number of these  turn out very good(#3),the cane and shoots are so simple,and quick to build,I rarely get the router and drill out much anymore.God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Dane

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 09:23:42 am »
Hillbilly is right. He made me a set of beauties for the Xmas trade, and shooting them was like being able to see after being blind.

I have a bunch of cane on order (live in New England, so harvesting is difficult :)), and doubt I will ever go back to wooden arrows, aside maybe from replicating historic arrows down the line. Shoots I have to try, but cane looks hard to beat.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 10:21:07 am »
What does "better" mean?  8)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 12:27:00 pm »
Justin, to me better means weight is just where I like it, forgiving of minor spine variations, almost unbreakable (important if you're a lousy shot like I am), easy to straighten, stays straight, looks good, historically correct for my area, more water resistant than wood, and just shoots good, etc. etc.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Postman

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 01:03:26 pm »
Aurthur - you probably have some invasive bamboo species  up there somewhere that would make good arrows- I think I remember seeing a stand in that state park near you by Cranberry,PA maybe, about a decade ago (forget the name....Moraine, maybe?...but it has a big lake,& probably lotsa goose feathers during waterfowl season, also.)

Look up bamboo pics and keep an eye out - you might even  have a neighbor with some that wouldn't mind you cutting some or try trading for some on here.
or, even easier, just to get started, try some "Garden stake" arrows - that thread is on here from a few days ago, and I'm taking the kids on a "mission" to find some  right now - probably see them in your stores up there in a few weeks ;D
Good luck
Postman
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA