Author Topic: Edger blade Knife Build-A-long  (Read 36954 times)

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Edger blade Knife Build-A-long
« on: February 27, 2009, 03:18:25 am »
Ok A few of you guys asked if I would Do a  Build-A-Long on how I make knives out of edger blades.. I am by NO!! stretch of the imagination a knife maker so bare with me on this. So here it goes.. I got my edger blade at the local hardware it cost 3 bucks.. The first thing you want to do is lay out a basic profile of the shape blade you want to have.. keep in mind you will get 2 blades out of each edger blade and you might as well cut both of them out at while you are at it..here is the basic way I lay them out..

Then I use a dremel with one of the fiber cutting disk to cut out the blanks.

At this point I use a belt and disk sander to finish shaping out the blank.. I keep my old belts just for sanding and grinding on metal..I don't have a bench grinder so I am using my belt sander to put some what of a hollow grind on the blade I like to keep a cup of water close by to dip the blank in to keep it cool while grinding on it..The edger blades are tempered well enough to hold a good edge when you get them and if you are carefull when you are working on them not to get them to hot. Then you wont have to retemper the blade. 

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:23:23 am by knightd »

Offline Jesse

Re: Edger blade Knife Build-A-long
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 12:24:42 pm »
Great idea Im gonna have o try one now.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 12:43:46 pm »
What kind of edger are these again? How thick are they? Which one is mine ;) ;D

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline knightd

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 04:15:28 pm »
They are edger blades that go on like a side walk edger. They are 1/8" thick.. If you go to a lawn care center or such you can get heavy duty ones that are around 3/16" thick..
Dana see the third one down in the pic?? It is yours!! :P ;D ;D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 06:22:52 pm »
I got ya now, but whats a lawn ??? Is that the green crap that grows for about a week in August ::) :P >:(

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 09:42:49 pm »
Nice.  Me likey.  Show me more. 

Offline knightd

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 11:44:44 pm »
It will be the first of the week before I can get any more done on them..I will post more pics then..

Offline knightd

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 12:56:01 am »
OK I finally got the time to work on this again.. OK I use a hand sander with 220grit to remove the deep marks from the sanding belt..

Then I drilled the holes for my pins in the blank. I lay the blank on top of one scale and them clamp it down. I then drill my holes in the scales using the knife blank as a template..

Then I slide 2 of the pins through the holes to keep every thing aligned. then I place the blank on top of the other scale and clamp in place and drill through to the other scale. After I drill the hole I place a pin in it and remove one of the others and drill it and so on till you get all your holes drilled..

Offline knightd

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 01:04:50 am »
OK then I take every thing apart. I like to ruff up the tang on the section that will be under the handle with 60 grit sand paper to help give the epoxy something to get ahold of..Then I put epoxy on both scales and put it all together and put the pins through so that they stick out both sides and then clamp it all with clamps until the epoxy dries.. Which will be tomorrow.. ;D.. Sorry about not having pics of puting it togather with the epoxy. I just didnt have time with the 5 min epoxy to stop and take them..

Offline cracker

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 06:36:46 am »
Very informative thread keep it coming.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 12:01:48 pm »
That's cool, David-looks like they're gonna be some nice'uns.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Timo

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 10:39:33 pm »
Neat stuff.Curious as to what the pins are? Brass?

Offline woodsman1031

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 12:45:16 am »
great tutorial!
Jesus Saves!

Offline knightd

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 01:22:07 am »
The pins are 1/8" brass.. Thanks guy's for the kind words.. I will get some more pics up tomorrow..

Offline billy

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 11:46:18 am »
No, you will get more pictures NOW!!  I want to see the end result NOW!  NOW!!  Gimme more pictures!  Hurry up!  I'm getting Tired of waiting......o.k.  I've waited long enough.  Post them NOW!!!!
Marietta, Georgia