Author Topic: Effective shooting range  (Read 8844 times)

whitewoodshunter

Effective shooting range
« on: February 27, 2009, 07:10:53 pm »
What is you effective shooting range at game and then at a target? Mine is 20 at game and 25 at a target( I get lucking and hit the target once in a while)

Offline Kegan

Re: Effective shooting range
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 07:37:47 pm »
Mine is 25-30 on game, but 50-60, and I'm working on 70 yards or target.

Of course, I'm hoping to break 100 yards with a selfbow on target, but I need to make a faster bow.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:27:00 pm »
Never measured the distance!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:38:11 pm »
I never measure the distance either but I'd guess about 20 to 25 yards if everything is just right. I prefer 12 to 15 yards for game though.  Probably the same at targets but I take shots at targets that I would not take at an animal.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 09:00:15 pm »
Right with ya there Pat!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 09:02:45 pm »
I have shot prarie dogs and ground squirrels out to fourty yards with a selfbow consistently... the last several big game harvests for me have all been between fifteen and eighteen yards... some were much closer ;D even an idiot gets lucky once in a while ;) as far as targets, I practice at fifteen and twenty yards... but have been known to fling them out there near seventy yards just to see what will happen... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 09:25:33 pm »
You fling Arrows out here to 70 yards or so....and you either get broken Arrows....or you dont find them again...... :P

And there aint no Stump Shootin here either.....the Stumps....if you can find one....are as hard as Rocks...but then so is the Ground!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:46:43 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 09:50:54 pm »
So i guess i'm pretty normal? I like my game close!!!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 10:04:09 pm »
Ill practice out to 50 yards or so. I don't want to shoot at an animal over 20.  3/4 of the hunt is the stalk for me so I usually try to get to within 3-4 yards if I can. But I will stalk and draw down on an animal that I cant cant shoot on just for entertainment.  I do break my share of arrows shooting at those distances, but I don't mind. I have fun shooting and that is what it is about anyway. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 10:11:31 pm »
I guess 25 yards max on targets. That is if I want to find the arrow. ;D  Hunting I want to be less than 15 yards.  Maybey I should try to extend that so I can actually shoot something. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 11:57:13 pm »
Practicing out to longer distances can improve your close in shooting. You just have to know your hunting limit and stick to it. There are times when you might make a shot that is out of the ordinary but it should just happen without thought.
   A few years ago at my club in GA I was headed into a wooded area to put a climber in a favorite tree. When I entered the woods I could see a deer standing under my tree about 50 yards away. I squatted, removed my climber from my back, nocked an arrow and hit a toot on my grunt call. The little buck that was under my tree turned and ran full steam right at me. When he got to about 10 yards he turned hard to my right, all four feet came out from under him and he hit the ground, now only feet away. Then he was up and gone. I caught movement from where he came and saw 5 other deer coming my way but to my left. Without thinking I drew and swung and released...and dead centered a 3" sweet gum tree. The deer were about 15 yards out when I shot.
   A running shot isn't a shot I would normally take but instincts set in and the shot was made without conscious thought. Damn sweet gum! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 05:47:24 pm »
Practicing out to longer distances can improve your close in shooting. You just have to know your hunting limit and stick to it. There are times when you might make a shot that is out of the ordinary but it should just happen without thought.

Pat's right. If any little part of your form is incinsistent at lng range, you will make a terrible miss. However, it is good practice and lots of fun (and really makes compouner's eyes bulge ;)).

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 01:12:47 pm »
20 yds. and under for me.Longer shots at targets are fun to do though.Even when I used the wheelie bow(bare fingers and instinct too)the game I harvested was usually under 20 yds except for 1 deer.Good hunting-Lloyd

Offline Timo

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 10:55:46 pm »
Never shoot  past 25yds,I'd say 15 is my comfort zone.....I always said that ifin they are under 5 yds,then they are dead.......I proved myself wrong this year...:)