Author Topic: sinew ?  (Read 2162 times)

whitewoodshunter

sinew ?
« on: February 27, 2009, 07:14:14 pm »
I recently glued on a sinew backing with tb3 and after shooting awhile the backing it starting to crack.I guess the glue is actually starting to crack. The bow has a good tiller and the belly isn't crystallizing.The bow is hickory sapwood. I guess my question is: would a snake skin backing be a good idea?

Offline Keenan

Re: sinew ?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 07:49:09 pm »
Whitewoods,  If the glue was fairly heavy it will tend to crack like that. It's always best to kind of squeeze out the excess between your fingers before applying the sinew. The cracking usually takes place when you first start flexing the limbs after it has cured. That is fairly common even with hide glues. It probably won't cause harm and snake skins will cover and help seal but they will not add any strength.

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 07:50:42 pm »
I just wanted to cover up the cracks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:34:25 pm »
Another layer of TBIII will just seal the crack.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 09:53:40 pm »
I got a little hasty and the bow is finished. I should of shot it in first. But then again the ttb3 would be an easier "fix"than the snake skins( bull snake)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 11:35:48 pm »
You can always add the snake skin later if the bow proves worthy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC