Author Topic: table top sanders  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Blacktail

table top sanders
« on: February 28, 2009, 01:05:55 am »
what is a good kind of sander...i herd juniper junkie talking about his sander last year at the central Oregon gathering and have been kind of snooping around...but i really don't know what is a good one...so,what kind and size do you prefer.thanks john

Offline DanaM

Re: table top sanders
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 07:20:06 am »
Depends if you want to do laminates a good(expensive) would probably be best.
For general purpose use a cheap, under $100, 4" x 36" table top one is fine, they also have a 8" disc sander on them whick is nice for
tapering arrows. Lowes, home depot, menards or ace all have them.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 08:48:59 am »
Not by any means a pro model, I have a Rigid combintation belt sander and spindle sander. For what I do, it is more than enough.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 10:45:58 am »
I have a Ryobi belt/disc combo that does pretty much everything I need to do. It's a little bigger than the usual benchtop, but still cost less than $200 at Lowe's. If I was going to make a lot of laminated bows on a regular basis, I would probably get a bigger one.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 11:21:12 am »
hey thanks so much.i like what dana said about the disc sander.i didnt even think of tapering arrows.john

Badbill

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 11:35:10 am »
I have a Cummins tool's upright belt sander. 4x36 with a 8" disc on the side. It runs great. I got it from them for $35. The plastic piece for the vacuum was broken, the guy even threw in a pack of extra sanding belts. Though I got a deal, their prices were pretty cheap anyway. Try looking them up on the web.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 12:57:54 pm »
At home I use a craftsman 4x36" sander and have been using it for years. I took off the disk assembly as I can taper arrows just as well from the top of the main belt. Getting good belts from 40 to 100 grit makes these my most used hand tool ;) If you can't quickly change these belts don't buy it..This becomes all to important once have to do it.

The inner curve of these sanders is the best handle shaper in the universe...