Author Topic: Question on red elm stave  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Dave 55

Question on red elm stave
« on: February 28, 2009, 11:39:52 am »
Good mornin guys I have a question on a red elm stave I recieved,the stave came to me decrowned and I was told you work red elm down to about 1/8 inch sap wood ,it has about 1/2 inch sap wood on it now and appears to be in good solid shape.Working it down that far would leave me with a bend thru the handle bow which I dont particularly want.TBB 1 says leave the sap wood,any suggestions would be appreciated,Dave.
Now is the good old days

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Question on red elm stave
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 11:52:25 am »
With elm, I would use the ring under the bark as my back ring. Being that your stave is decrowned I would back it. Why was it decrowned?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 12:13:52 pm »
Pat I dont know why it was decrowned,when I asked was when he said it was to help start working down the sap wood?
Now is the good old days

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 12:33:36 pm »
I've only made one bow from red elm, and I used the sapwood under the bark as the back. It only had a bit of heartwood in the handle. It will probably work good like you're saying, and it will look awesome, too. Just more work. I would try to work it down to a continuous sapwood ring.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 12:53:41 pm »
I dont know but the plan is to drop down to the next ring which will leave about 3/8 inch sap wood in the limbs and back it with raw hide,talking to the dealer I kind of felt like I was getting the mushroom treatment,you keep them in the dark and feed them - - - -.I really appreciate the info and suggestions thanks Dave.
Now is the good old days

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 01:07:07 pm »
If you get it down to a single ring, you shouldn't have to back it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 01:43:41 pm »
I would only back it if it were kept decrowned. Get it down to a single sapwood ring and go from there without a backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 02:23:21 pm »
Sounds good ,if I go down 2 rings it should be a continuos ring but bt then I wont have much for a grip,probably bend thru the handle.
Now is the good old days