Author Topic: Toggle type harpoon head(???)  (Read 9511 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Toggle type harpoon head(???)
« on: February 28, 2009, 03:34:10 pm »
I am attempting to make a primitive fishing arrow...but for real big fish. I read somewhere about a toggle type harpoon head the Eskimos used for walrus, wales and seals. I want to make this type head but for a bow shot arrow and not a harpoon.  I'm starting off with a green sourwood shoot that I have stripped the bark off and am drying under my wood stove. For the head I am using a leg bone of a deer with each end sawn off at a sharp angle. When shot into the fish, the head and shaft separate. The head has cordage attached to it's center and when the fish struggles the head "toggles" inside to prevent from pulling out.
   What I am looking for is a good description(with pics if possible) of a toggle type head, how and where to attach the cordage and what to use for cordage?  I believe the Eskimos used sinew cordage but I would prefer something less susceptible to moisture. I probably only need about 3' of strong cordage for the head. Heavy bow fishing line will be used beyond that.
  Below are a few beginning pics...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Toggle type harpoon head(???)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 05:55:18 pm »
Well Pat ....I hope that this will help you out a little on designing them....I drew this Up ....so don't laugh at the Quality!!! They seem to be pretty basic...3 piece design...with a Tip wrapped with Cordage....floating Shaft with a Metal Ring to Hold the Cordage....and the Spear itself with the Cordage tied off to it securely....should not be too hard...especially for a Craftsman of your Quality ...to make one that will work great on a Cane Arrow..... Good Luck.....and remember where you got the Info............ >:D      :D

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 06:07:48 pm »
Thanks Mike. I figured you'd have a suggestion.  ;)  I'll play with your design and see how it works out.
   This is going to be an ongoing thread as I work all the bugs out to a working toggle type fish arrow. I'll post pics as I go.
 This fish arrow is going to be used(hopefully) on a large alligator gar if that makes a difference...I mean BBBIG!  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 08:32:18 pm »
Cool project.  I can't wait to see pics. of the gar that you take with those arras.
Traverse City, MI

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 01:30:35 am »
Here is one I own .It is ivory .The slit at the top I think is for a flint or metal point ,the round hole for the line. The rectangular groove is for the foreshaft ,and the narrow slits are for lashing the foreshaft on . My guesses anyhow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 12:23:43 pm »
Very cool Ralph. You guys are getting my wheels turning.
   Anymore ideas out there?

Offline Diligence

"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 02:43:25 pm »
Thanks a bunch, D. I hadn't gotten top Google yet. I will now!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 02:24:12 am »

Pat, if it is a " Big " One, your arrow head, better very hard, and sharp!  ;) The alligator gar, has a bony scale, and the larger ones, were used as arrow heads,  When you look at one it looks just like an arrow head, and very hard.  When I was in my early teens, I used to pass the time gigging them, no problems with the two footers, but I hit one once, that was about 3 1/2 to 4 ft. long, and the gig bounced right of of it, and only removed a scale.  Those toothy critters get to 6-7 ft. in length.  Years ago, in the  mid to late fifties, and early sixties, they used to dive for them down here in the Kissimmee river, and shoot them with spear guns.  If you are ever near a craft store, ask them if they have gar scales.  You will see what I mean that they look just like arrow heads.  Also I know some people down here who eat them.  The swear that they are delicious.  I know that they have nice white meat.  I used to use them for bait, when I was a kid.  I would cut off the head, and then make a slice back down the back, to the spiral pattern in the skin, and then just unwind the skin, like a biscuit can, and there it is, nice white meat.  Haven't tried eating one myself, but I have had a few other people tell me it is good.  8)

Wayne

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 09:49:02 am »
I Scuba Dive...and was diving in the Stilling Basin here at Lake Meridith on the lea side of the Dam in the deep water at the Spill Gates....Me and a Buddy were Spear Fishing....He had a Bungee Spear Pole...and I had my Speargun that had a 30 inch Bolt with a 20 foot Nylon Lanyard hooked to it and My wrist....well I seen movement down below Me against a big piece of Rock....covered in Algae....I seen Gills pumping....so I aimed about 5-6 inches behind the Gills and Let Her Rip.....well the Bottom come to life....and all of the Silt and Muck stirred up....I couldn't see crap....and all of a sudden I was wrenched forward hard enough to pop my Shoulder and send shooting pains down my Side ....I looked in front of Me....The Fish I shot was about 4.5-5 foot long and as big around as My 100 cubic foot Scuba Tank........and He was pulling me through the Water like I was nothing...I couldn't get the Lanyard off My Wrist ...I was freaking out and going for My Knife...when the Spear just fell out of this Monster Flathead....and He just kept swimming away....and good riddance too!!! I can only guess that when I hit Him....He was laying on the Bottom,...and the Spear went through but hit the rock behind Him and the Toggle didn't open up and secure the Bolt....man I was never so glad to lose a Fish in my Life!!!!      ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 11:48:56 am »
I e-mailed Curtis Keller from Texas. He has "hunted" these monsters in the past and I wanted his input. He pretty much discouraged me about attempting this with a primitive head. He has shot(at) the big ones(over 100#) and has had an aluminum covered fiberglass arrow with steel "gar fishing" head and a 75# bow and had the arrow bounce off of its back.  :o
   I will still play with the head to see what I come up with. I will send it to Curt to test...if he thinks it will be worthwhile.
   Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 12:57:49 pm »

They are tough critters, and the armor plating that their scales provide is pretty amazing.   something else.  I doubt that the native americans, speared, or harpooned them.  If so, they must have had one hell of an arm, and point. ;D  You don't have to go paleo, you know, you could go, oh, pre 1700's, with an iron point...... ;)

Wayne

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 04:29:24 pm »
Wayne, I'm sure I could make a modern point or a post industrial age point that would work on one of these guys. My hopes were that I could do it primitive. I have been studying the Eskimos harpoon heads and they are quite impressive and they are dealing with animals that weigh in at a ton or more in some cases. The difference being their quarry are all soft bodied mammals.
  Like I said, I'll keep playing with the idea and see where it takes me.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 05:39:31 pm »

I would think the Indians, probably netted the gars, but I could be wrong.  By all means, do keep at it.  I am sure there must be a way, to do this.  Maybe it is the angle of attack?  I would like to hear of your progress.  I know what you mean, by trying to do it all primitive.  It would be cool to try to solve a problem with only the natural resources at hand.  Modern people seem to have this notion that prehistoric man was a nit wit.  When in fact they were quite ingenious, and skillful.  If not, we would not be here.  Look at what they had to go through to survive.  A little more modern, but nonetheless a point to be made, is that the Egyptians, could make a gold leaf so thin, that you could actually see through it enough to read a newspaper.  We can't do that today, with all of our technology, and " Superior " intelligence !  I by no means, meant to stop trying to get a large gar by strictly primitive means.  How about the toggle idea, with a small medium thickness, point, so it would have a chance of going in between the scales, and or sliding in under a scale, and into the body of the fish?  Or a small triangular point, like the Danish used to Peirce armor.  Claude Van Order made some, that were pretty neat.  In fact I think Eddie (Mullet) used one on a hog, and it went right through the skull, one shot, one kill  ;)........sort of a stone bodkin......but, by all means, keep at it.  We can all benefit from what you come up with, both failures, and successes. ;)     Carry on sir. :)

Wayne

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 06:35:30 pm »
I can't wait to here how this turns out.  I think it's a worthy endeavor.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw