Author Topic: Toggle type harpoon head(???)  (Read 9512 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Toggle type harpoon head(???)
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 02:33:12 am »
Wayne, I was thinking about Eddie's "bodkin" pig point. I have 2 of them here. That would be added to the front of the head body. Eskimos used ivory for the body. The deer leg bone broke while I was "adjusting" it. ::)
  I think the angle of the shot will be important. I believe you have to try to get under the scales and from the rear or quartering away. I've never seen an alligator gar but have heard stories from my uncles that grew up in Louisiana and Arkansas.
  Yeh Hedge, me too. We will see how worthy. ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 08:16:11 am »
One of the first animals I ever took with a bow was an alligator gar.  I took my wheelie with me on a crappy fishing trip to Lake Weis.  I couple gars were finning near the shoreline.  I was a lucky shot at the skinny 3 inch body at about 30 yards.  The gar was only 26".  I quickly learned that once you arrow the gar, you have another problem--how to get him off the arrow once you get him to the boat.  haha  Even on this small one it beak full of the razor sharp teeth is quite scary.  I managed to slide him to the middle of the shaft, unscrew the fishing point, then slide him into the live well.

Another time a friend and I were fishing below the spillway of Barren River Reservor.  The fishing was slow, so we went up a little feeder creek.  Their were literally 100's of gar in this little creek.  Since nothing else was biting, I tied a steel leader to the spider wire on my casting rod.  I removed a treble hook from one of my lures and hooked up a minnow.  I flipped the minnow right across the nose of a gar.  He followed it down as it dropped and took it.  I knew it would take him awhile to munch the minnow down from the boney nose to the softer tissue of his mouth.  I pushed the release on the reel and let him take all the line he wanted.  Half an adult beverage later, I reeled up yards and yards of slack line and set the hook HARD.  The gar exploded to the surface like a marlin 70 or 80 yards from the boat.  It was a hoot landing him.  He was small 28 inches maybe.  I caught another the same way.  It was a bit bigger.

Then I decided we needed to fine a 40 incher or bigger.  We trolled around for a bit and found us a monster gar.  It a lot longer than my little 36 inche emergency boat paddle.  I flipped the minnow rig across his beak and handed the pole to my friend and opened another adult beverage.  We it was half consumed, I instructed Tom to reel up the slack until he felt the fish, point the rod tip to the water and jerk hard all the way across the bow of the boat.  Fifteen minutes later, Tom had the gar to the boat.

Now, unhooking those small gar with the needle nose pliers was no concern to me.  But, I didn't want to get my hand that close to this monster.  I grab the boat paddle and attempted to smack him across the head.  Well, I snapped the line and the gar swam away. haha haha

My point being to this long story is, have a plan to deal with a monster gar once you get him to the boat.  :)

correction: these were long nose gar not alligator gar.  sorry
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 12:09:01 pm by hedgeapple »
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline stickbender

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 04:18:41 am »

Bang!  Problem solved. ;D  Like with sharks. ;)

Wayne

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 10:19:32 am »
el d, those flathead cats are pure power.  i grew up jugging for them near my home and i've seen some huge ones, that got away.  the biggest i've ever hooked was at least six foot long.  he pulled off after trying to land him for over two hours.  we never could get the net over his head. 

pat, another problem you may have with gar is with their scales cutting your line.  i've had their scales cut through 800lb test braided nylon string on pass through shots.  come down in april or may and we'll try for some long nose gar and carp.  i'm hoping to take a carp with a primitive set up this spring.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 10:58:46 am »
Curtis Keller  from Texas is going to be my test pilot and he is sending me a piece of skin with the scales intact so I can plan my strategy. He has warned me about the pitfalls to my brainstorm but has encouraged me to keep trying. It may not be practical to try it 100% primitive. If I can make the head primitive(at least primitive style), that would satisfy me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 03:11:28 pm »

Mechslasher, those cats do get BIG !!  Imagine someone trying to noodle one of those big boys!  It would be them that gets pulled in.  My Brother dated a Girl in Tennessee, and her father used to work on the TVA Dam, and he said the biggest problem with building it was keeping divers, to clear the intakes.  He said after a couple of dives, they would quit, saying that they were not going to work around catfish bigger than they were! :o  Can you imagine the Fish Fry you could have with one of them? !!  That would be something to take to the Classic! ;D ;D ;D
                                                                                 Wayne

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 03:54:33 pm »
I just received a few pieces of skin with scales attached in the mail from Curtis.... :o :o :o
   I may have to rethink this whole process. ::)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 01:44:45 am »
Wonder what the gill flaps like ? Maybe an arrow could go thru it more easy.Don't know,just wonder.   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 02:19:22 am »

Good point......no pun intended, Fishoonah ;D

Wayne