Author Topic: New to arrowmaking, question?  (Read 10919 times)

Offline crumrw

New to arrowmaking, question?
« on: February 28, 2009, 05:50:14 pm »
Hey guys,

Never made arrows before but I think  I'm gonna give it a try.  I'm down in Austin, TX and there is a lot of golden rod bamboo around here.  If I find some dead stalks that already are dried can I use them or do I need to cut fresh stalks and let them dry in a bundle?  Also, for fletching, how can you tell left wing from right wing feathers and which do you use?  I'm sure these questions have been ansered before, but I've read a lot of threads on here and still am a little confused.

Thanks,
Rick
Garland, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: New to arrowmaking, question?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 06:01:43 pm »
You want to cut whatever arrow stock you use fresh, whether it be cane or hardwood shoots. If it is dead, fungi has already invaded it and is eating as we speak. ;D
   It doesn't matter whether you use right or left wing feathers as long as you use the same side on each arrow. If you mix right and left on the same arrow it will not fly correctly. If you fletch 2 arrows, one with right and the other left, everything else being equal, both arrows should fly similarly. One will rotate one direction and the other the opposite though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 06:41:01 pm »
Cut fresh ( live ) shafts and let them season awhile, remove the bark and let season awhile longer, straiten, finish and fletch.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 06:44:05 pm »
like said dont use dead ones. though if its dry down there i guessa ya never know till ya try it. but id cut the fresh ones and season em.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline crumrw

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 09:32:56 pm »
ok thanks guys.  My questions have been answered but don't be surprised when I come back for more!! hehe
Garland, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 01:04:26 am »
In my experience, the best arrow material that grows in the Austin area is Roosevelt weed.  It grows all over the place and is MUCH stronger than goldenrod.  It dries quick too, without checking.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline crumrw

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 01:01:18 pm »
Jack

I don't specifically recall seeing any of that stuff before.  Do you know a place I can start my search?

Thanks,
Rick
Garland, TX

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 01:49:24 pm »
                       Looks like Salt Cedar almost.....hey and they work for arrows too...so I have been told anyways........ ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 02:08:06 pm »
Crumrw, that weed grows along fencelines and in empty lots with poor soil.  It grows all up and down Rt 360 on the sides of the road....especially where there are road cuts through the limestone.  Look for it in ditches as well.  It also grows all around the Dell campus in Round Rock.  Tell me where you are (north, south, east, or west Austin) and I'll try to direct you to a patch close to you.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline crumrw

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 02:57:58 pm »
I'm two blocks west of the UT campus.  Thanks for the guidance.
Garland, TX

Offline xin

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 06:36:18 pm »
doesn't a good amount of yaupon grow around there of is it arther east of Austin.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 07:03:32 pm »
There's a little yaupon and maybe some roughleaf dogwood growing on the edges of private lots around campus....as well as Roosevelt weed.  The Roosevelt weed is probably going to be small because it's cut quickly to prevent spreading.  Check behind bldgs in the alleys...I bet there are patches of it all around you.  The older apartment complexes around campus are also good spots.....when I was on campus, very few were well maintained and had weeds growing all over the place.  You can also try looking in Zilker or Pease District Park.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline crumrw

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 12:28:31 pm »
Ok I'll give it a shot
Garland, TX

Offline crumrw

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 12:31:23 pm »
Also, I didn't realize that yaupon was a good arrow wood.  Doesn't seem like you would find it long or straight enough to make arrows out of. hmmm...
Garland, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 01:52:47 pm »
Yaupon(Ilex vomitoria) growing in landscapes probable wouldn't have many shoots for shafting but in nature, in a shady area, you should be able to find decent shoots. Other hollies like inkberry(Ilex glabra)will work also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC