Author Topic: looking for a mentor  (Read 2008 times)

Offline sailordad

looking for a mentor
« on: March 01, 2009, 01:45:45 am »
      HI everyone,

well as most know i am very new to this whole knapping addiction,but i do enjoy it a lot.
i have a made a few crude point on my own.even went to my first knapp in a week a go.
watched some very very talented knappers in action,even bought some rock and some nice slabs of obsidion.
now i have been busting up some of the rocks and ending up with more gravel than i probably should be for the rock.
i would really like to learn proper techniques etc for knapping and learn how to do slabs and not just end up with a
bucket of gravel and waste all my resources.
i am looking for someone to teach me and be my knapping mentor.
i would be willing to drive a little ways to gain the knowledge i need so if there is anyone in or near the central minnesota area
please get in touch with me if your willing to teach a newbie ;D

peace,
                                                                                           tim
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:02:40 am by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline stickbender

Re: looking for a mentor
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 01:19:23 am »

Tim, you might look up a rock club, or gem club, and there just might be a knapper in there, or they may know of someone. ;)
Worth a try...... :)  But yeah, it will definitely speed things up, and you won't wast your good stuff.  I am still sitting on some of my good stuff, afraid to waste it.  Also like they said before, check with a glass company, and see if they will let you do a little dumpster diving......will help you work out the basics, and get used to how much pressure, when and where, angles, abrading, and platforms.  Then hopefully you will have found a mentor. 8)  I was very lucky, I found out Eddie lived about 2hrs, or so from me, and he lives a couple of miles from Claude Van Order.  It really has helped me a lot.  Still not where I would like to be, but I am a whole lot better than when I started.  Didn't know one end of a flaker from the other.  Didn't even know what they looked like.  So it was very fortunate for me, not so much for Eddie, I got a lot of his rock......but my addiction is due mainly to him.  The videos, help, but it is not like being there watching someone, who knows what they are doing, and you can ask questions, and they can give you hands on advice, and instructions.  Good luck with finding a mentor. :)

Wayne

Wayne

AKAPK

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 03:05:48 am »
I found that if ya strike them to hard ya get dust and silica is Dangerous :)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 04:20:49 am »

A dust mask, and eye protection is a good idea. ;) If you are not outside, and it would not be a bad idea, to put a fan on....... :)

Wayne