Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 5743 times)

Offline Parnell

What is this?
« on: March 03, 2009, 11:18:07 pm »
Hello,

I'm curious about what this is.  I have three chunks of this clearish blue glass found which looks like is has a calloidal fracture.  This was found in a backyard as part of a larger rock in London's Blackheath.  Pictures are of same piece.

Is this manmade?

Thanks,

Parnell

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 11:20:03 pm »
Other pictures...

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 11:28:44 pm »
yeah id say that be man made

Badbill

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 01:11:04 am »
Emerald or maybe a blue diamond. ;D You wish. Cool looking whatever it is. How does it knap?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 08:39:36 am »
Yup, just looks like old glass to me. Bet you can get a point out of it though :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 10:55:25 pm »
I don't have any of the tools or skills yet...but I'm starting to play around with stuff and have interest. 

Thanks for the information, I'll look to see how the piece breaks.

1’—>1’

Offline xin

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 09:52:28 pm »
Parnell.You have a piece of the Hope Diamond that was removed to alter the original Hope's identity.  After it was liberated from the French monachy in a  a fit of revolutionary larceny, it was taken across the channel to England where the alteration was done by a flintknapper named Tweedmouth.  Feeling full of himself and in a very expansive mood he decided to treat himself to a new suit of clothes where the haberdasher picked his pocket while he tried on a collar of the highest style in that era.  The haberdasher, a man named Truman,  carried his new prize home where he got in a brawl with his wife over some affections he shared with a maid that carried out into the yard where it fell from his pocket when his wife tried to stab him in the testicles with a knife but missed releasing the blue diamond from the pocket of the second thief, allowing it to fall to the ground where it has lain all these years, thus beginning the "Curse of the Hope Diamond".  I would be remiss, if I did not encourage you to throw a pinch of salt over your left shoulder with your  right hand.  You may be additionally protected by humming an incantation of letters consisting of the PM's name, Gordon Brown, backward, nworbnodrog.  This  should have you insured for disaster better than LLoyd's of London.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 02:21:11 am by xin »

Badbill

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 11:31:01 am »
Parnell.You have a piece of the Hope Diamond that was removed to alter the original Hope's identity.  After it was liberated from the French monachy in a  a fit of revolutionary larceny, it was taken across the channel to England where the alteration was done by a flintknapper named Tweedmouth.  Feeling full of himself and in a very expansive mood he decided to treat himself to a new suit of clothes where the haberdasher picked his pocket while he tried on a collar of the highest style in that era.  The haberdasher, a man named Truman,  carried his new prize home where he got in a brawl with his wife over some affections he shared with a maid that carried out into the yard where it fell from his pocket when his wife tried to stab him in the testicles with a knife but missed releasing the blue diamond from the pocket of the second thief, allowing it to fall to the ground where it has lain all these years, thus beginning the "Curse of the Hope Diamond".  I would be remiss, if I did not encourage you to throw a pinch of salt over your left shoulder with your  right hand.  You may be additionally protected by humming an incantation of letters consisting of the PM's name, Gordon Brown, backward, nworbnodrog.  This  should have you insured for disaster better than LLoyd's of London.
I thought that was what happened. ;D

Offline xin

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 12:42:38 pm »
Badbill, A side note you may, or may not, be interested in is that Tweedmouth is an antecedant of Sir Reginald Tweedmouth of the 13th Royal fusiliers who served the crown so gallantly in India,  except when he impregnated the teenage daughter of a Maharajah setting off a bloody provincial war, that he was knighted in spite of the aforementioned indescretion.   Little has been said, until now, about the Tweedmouth involvement in the Hope Diamond affair and the current Tweedmouth, Reginald the Fifth, spends his time searching the globe for spices which eventually end up in  the cups and on the pastry plates of high end coffee shops.  A descendant of the original Tweedmouth's bastard is said to be the guitarist of an English rock band with a name that relates to moving rocks and is believed by many to be the worlds ugliest man, a trait which carried down through the Tweedmouth line.  Truman, the haberdasher, afraid to stay with his angry wife,  immigrated to the USA with the maid.  The Hope Diamond passed through a series of owners, all of which had more than their share of misfortune, before being acquired by the Smithsonian Institute and now resides there only a few blocks from where a Truman  descendant resided with his wife Bess on a street named after a state before returning to Missouri.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:41:09 pm by xin »

Badbill

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 09:57:26 pm »
At first I thought you said he was Knightd, then i saw it read knighted.  Bet David was sweating over that one. Haha. ;D

Offline xin

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 11:06:30 pm »
Huh?

Offline xin

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 01:56:26 am »
David?

Offline xin

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 06:37:51 am »
Knightd...?   knighted...?         

Offline xin

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 11:11:21 am »
Sweating?

Offline xin

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 12:39:39 pm »
Big BadBill, you clever rascal ,  I've been punned and didn't even know it.  I didn't discover good old "Knightd" until this " mourning".  Wonder what happened to the "e".  Could it be his keyboard or do you think he just likes it that way.  i'll go with the latter.  This was almost as big a mystery as the Hope Diamond  caper.  I wonder why we don't have to return it to France?  The owners were the French Monarchy and they completely lost their heads over the whole matter, which I suppose in a way forfeited their ownership.