Author Topic: point types  (Read 3535 times)

Offline n2everythg

point types
« on: March 06, 2009, 02:03:36 pm »
Can anyone ID these point types for me? These were found in the South East in NC.

I believe that the big one is a gilferd. dont know if that is the correct spelling or not. Is the second smaller one a kirk serrated? it is not pateniaed at all though.

I need to get me some good ID books. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. thnks.
N2

N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: point types
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 02:57:31 pm »
Wade, the big one is likely a Guilford with a broken base. The small one looks like a Palmer or Kirk corner-notched.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 03:16:00 pm »
thanks steve.
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 03:50:58 pm »
Go pick up a copy of "Overstreets price guide for arrowheads" I don't pay attention to the prices but it has lots of photos and discriptions.It's divided into regions of the country and gives dates + - I use it to look up styles and stone used on various point types.

Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 04:24:20 pm »
Their are other books out there but I've only owned and used the Overstreet one, like bonepile said it's great for looking up the types, region's, dates and materials used.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline xin

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 09:28:45 pm »
What type of material on the Kirk?

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 10:18:51 pm »
Not sure about the big one but Hillbilly nailed that lil one I think. Nice piece.

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 10:58:23 pm »
thanks guys. I ordered the overstreet guide today.

the material on both is rhyolite.

little grainy on the kirk but pretty smooth textured on the guilferd from what I can tell
later
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 09:59:11 am »
Wade, the whole sequence in your area is usually something like Clovis>Hardaway Blade>Hardaway Dalton>Hardaway side-notched>Palmer>Kirk Corner-notched>Kirk Stemmed>Kirk Serrated>Stanley>Morrow Mountain I and II>Guilford>Savannah River>Small Savannah River (Otarre, Iddins)>Badin triangular> Yadkin>Uwharrie>Pee Dee triangular/pentagonal>Caraway, with a few odds and ends like the occasional Halifax or Simpson and such thrown in here and there. We have a lot of the same sequence up here in the mountains, with a few more types like the Early Archaic bifurcated cluster and a few stemmed Early Woodland point types added to the mix. A lot of the points are the same thing from the same time period, but called different names in different areas.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 01:50:05 pm »
Dead on the money with the I.D. Steve. That Palmer is sweet.  They are usually very well made points too.  I found one about 20 years ago that is still sharp enough to hunt with.  I can't tell from the picture about the Guilford base.  I found a few that look pretty rough, but they are whole.  Here is a picture of some I found in Granville County, the bigger Palmer in the center is the sharp-well made one.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.