Author Topic: Haunting rock carving (pics)  (Read 5047 times)

Offline billy

Haunting rock carving (pics)
« on: March 08, 2009, 11:15:10 pm »
I know this isn't a pic of flintknapping, but since it's a picture of a rock carving, I figured it would fit best here.  Below is a photo that I took today.  This rock is located at the top of Kennesaw Mountain, located in Kennesaw Georgia, about 45 minutes north of Atlanta (with no traffic!).  Back in 1864, Kennesaw Mountain was an important stronghold for the Confederates as they tried to defend Atlanta against Sherman's infamous "March to the Sea".    In the few days before the battle of June 27, 1864, an unknown Confederate soldier who observed the Union's 100,000 soldiers preparing to attack the mountain, carved this inscription into the granite, knowing those could have been his last days on this earth.  Whether he was killed during the battle is unknown.  All he left was this haunting message: "Prepare to meet thy God". 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 11:19:36 pm by billy »
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Haunting rock carving (pics)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:32:45 am »
I'll bet that gave you the willies, Billy!  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Timo

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 08:11:26 am »
Looks liek someone has added the "Thy" part?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 08:49:33 am »
That is a little haunting. Does look like somebody added "thy" later on.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 10:42:46 am »
I thought the same thing, although I'm not sure if "thy" was added later or not.  It could have been, although it all was done a long time ago.  There is no fresh scratching in the letters.   But as far as different style, "Prepare" is in all caps, "to meet" was done in a different style as was "thy". It looks like it could have been done by at least 3 different people...maybe it was!  I don't know...I wasn't around back then!     
Marietta, Georgia

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 12:08:51 am »
That is so cool.. being a history buff I love seeing things like that.. Stacey took some pics of rock paintings dating back 8000 plus years... in a place called the valley of the shields ... the medicine in those places is unbelievable.... thanks for sharing Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 12:29:15 am »
That's cool...and on top of that, I just saw it my self today in person.  I had a little spare time and went up on top of Kennesaw mountain.  I forgot all about this post until I'm standing on the rocks reading the different messages left and there it was.  That in itself is kind of haunting. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 12:38:49 am »
                                       Long Ways from Chandler ....aint Ya Mike!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 11:30:33 pm »
Yep, but like an old horse, I usually find my way back to the barn. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck