Author Topic: Pics of proper gripping for narrow handle selfbow  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Grizzzly

Pics of proper gripping for narrow handle selfbow
« on: March 14, 2009, 11:37:04 pm »
 ??? I was wondering if you guys could show some closeup pics of how to properly hold a narrow handled selfbow. I usually shot big handled recurves , but now switched to longbow & selfbows with much slimmer, narrower handles. I seem to shoot pretty well but occasionaly have 1 or 2 shots out of 6 fly on me a little. When they do it seems my grip felt a little different or I didn't hit my anchor. I seem to feel more pressure at the heel of my palm with my selfbow than the recurve, which seemed more in the web of my thumb & pointer finger. I just want to make sure I'm gripping correctly so I can work on my form. Also I'm not relaxing my fingers like on recurves, I hold the selfbow more but not real tight. Thanks , John   
NW  NJ

Offline Timo

Re: Pics of proper gripping for narrow handle selfbow
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 09:25:08 am »
Not sure how to answer this one Grizz. Most all selfbow handles (although close) will all be a bit different. We all try to replicate a certain handle on each bow, but the wood sometimes dictates what we can or can't do. If you are a one bow man, then I suggest shooting it with diffrent grips until you find one that suits you best.

I tend to hold mine perty tight, and kinda on the side more.(more pressure on my thumb.)

Offline Kegan

Re: Pics of proper gripping for narrow handle selfbow
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 10:38:58 am »
You shoot with a low wrist. The pressure is along the meat, at the bottom of the thumb (that line, or crease, in your palm). It requires a little more work to get the same comsistency a recurve forces you to use, but it's not unmanagible. Just make sure your grip is loose. Straight, narrow handles require a little more work to get the same, consistent grip- but if you look at Hill, he used that style and shot without issue.

Anchoring is just as important as the grip, if not more so though.