Author Topic: Pitch recipies  (Read 15577 times)

Offline Timo

Pitch recipies
« on: March 09, 2009, 08:38:56 am »
Probly been gone over a 100 times here ,but I would like to see all you guys recipies. I have one that I use,and it woks fine, but I think it is a lil to brittle.  I use it mostly for mounting stone points/knves.

Thanks in advance.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Pitch recipies
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 10:31:08 am »
I use brewer's pitch.  That's it.  Maybe some lamp black or red ochre thrown in for color.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:50:45 am »
Tim, my blend is about equal parts pitch, bees wax(makes it less brittle) and finely ground charcoal(adds body). I have also used fine saw dust instead of charcoal. With the charcoal the glue comes out black. With the saw dust it comes out a tan color. I guess that would change with different wood dusts.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 08:18:32 am »
Brewers pitch?

pat, I never used wax in mine before.I had a friend give me some of his that had manure and deer tallow in it. Melted in my hot truck one day. :)

Does that much wax make it very soft? Or does it get hard?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:04:11 am »
Tim, the wax makes it less brittle but not too soft. The amount used was only a guess but about 1/3 each. I have heard of others using different recipes. You may have to play with it to get what works best for you.
  The deer tallow(makes it less brittle) would be like using the bees wax and the dried deer pellets are like the charcoal(for body).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 03:05:41 pm »
Brewers pitch?

Tim....Brewers Pitch is just Natural Pine Tar Pitch...... Ready to melt down for foodsafe watertight coatings of wood or metal containers.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 07:15:11 pm »
I had a guy tell me this one and I used it and like it (but can't take credit for it.) About 3 parts pitch to 1 part charcoal and deer pellets-both finely ground. This has a nice deep black/green color and holds real tight. I used it for all my aroow point haftings last year.

Offline Timo

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 10:38:14 pm »
Mine seems to work fine and hold better,but I was thinking it was a bit to brittle.I may try some wax in my next batch.

Going back to all stone this year so will need lots.:):)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 05:49:58 am »
Doesn't adding charcoal and/or deer poop do the same thing, it adds body so use one or the other.
Bees wax for less brittle. If I remember right the stuff Barry made at last years classic was powder charcoal and bees wax
its nice stuff not too hard and not too soft :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 08:22:58 am »
I've never worked with pitch before, so here's a couple of questions from a newbie on the pitch subject:

The pitch is to seal over sinew used to secure points or fletching?
Pitch is from pine tree's and the whole recipe is mixed over heat...if so, what temp and how long?
Where would you look for "brewers pitch", if I can't get my hands on natural pine pitch?
Anything else I should be aware of when using pitch?

I'm working on some cane arrows, and would like to try the pitch out instead of tru-oiling over my sinew wraps.

Thanks!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Timo

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 08:34:38 am »
Greg, I call it " natural glue sticks" works the same way as your commercial glue sticks.

I don't use it over sinew wraps, I have seen people do that though. Wouldn't hurt a thing. I just smear a lil shellac over mine.The pitch is to set your points and hold them there.

Cook the sap over low heat,until it starts to bubble and get syrupy.Skim off the trash,mix in the other ingredients.As it cools I like to take a stick and start dipping it in the mix.Kinda like making a candle,only it looks like a lollipop when done. Some pour theirs into long thin molds and use them just like glue sticks.

Not sure where to get the brewers pitch.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 08:51:13 am »
Thanks Timo! ;)
Greg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 09:23:33 am »
Greg, For sinew wraps I use pitch varnish; hard, brittle pitch dissolved in alcohol. Use hard brittle pitch for this (Natural volatile oils have evaporated). if gooy stuff is used, the varnish will stay tacky. Some use plain gooy pitch to seal sinew wraps as it comes from the tree.
 Collect the pitch from pine tree damage area. You have to heat it to melt it and to remove debris.
Also, cooking releases the natural volatile oils and allows the pitch to harden when cooled. You have to be very careful when heating the pitch. It is very volatile and will burst into flame if not watched closely. You will have to experiment with how long to heat. I heat it, cook for a while, let it cool and check the consistency.  Make pitch glue sticks like Tim suggested.
  When the consistency is good, re heat and mix in finely ground charcoal(for body) and bees wax(to make less brittle). Dried deer poop and rabbit poop does the same thing as the charcoal; adds body. I have also used fine saw dust for this.
  The bees wax makes the glue less brittle so it doesn't shatter when the arrow strikes something. I think any wax or oil, like bear grease, deer fat, etc will do the same thing.
  You will be surprised how sticky the stuff is. When hafting the points I drip some pitch in the arrow head slot. heat the point then push it into the slot and set it true. Let it cool and check for truness. If adjustments are needed reheat the point a bit, adjust, then let it set and check again. Even after wrapping with sinew and sealing you can adjust by heating the point a bit first. If you try to adjust cold, the bond will break.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 01:17:07 pm »
Thank's Pat, I'll try and keep an eye out for some damaged pine trees.  ;)
Greg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 01:22:12 pm »
Greg, I'll bring pitch glue fixins and some pitch varnish I made to the Classic.