Author Topic: Laminated bow construction help  (Read 12807 times)

Offline Wulamoc

Laminated bow construction help
« on: February 01, 2009, 03:30:46 pm »
My question has to do with building the bow form. Are there general or rule of thumb dimensions for a form or do you just do what you think looks good? I have laminations made from hickory and red oak. I will have some poplar made in a couple of days. I still need to cut a handle insert, but the form design and dimensions are bugging me and holding me up.  Thanks in advance for your input!

And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. GEN-21:20

Michigan

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Laminated bow construction help
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 05:01:09 pm »
It mostly depends on what you want for a style.  If you just want reflex, anything that will hold the tips 1-1/2" into reflex while it dries.  If I want a reflex deflex pull midlimb down to about 1" behind the back at the riser and then push the tips up so they are 1" above the riser.   It really depends on bow length and how I feel that day.  ;) I admit I have never used poplar in a bow limb. However, knowing what I do about poplar and how poor its bow characteristics are I don't recommend you use it in the limbs. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 10:32:39 pm »
  Wells,  Dean Torges video, "Hunting the Bamboo Backed Bow" is a very good reference for lam bows. His forms are simple and the video is well worth the cost. I believe Horsefeathers carries it as well as 3Rivers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jesse

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 12:59:18 am »
Well I can tell you how I do it. I take a 2x4 and cut it to the max length of bow I will build. For me thats 70" Then cut 2 short pieces of 2x4  2" long and atach them to the ends of the 2x4 at the length of your bow or in more if you want more reflex. If you want just reflex then simply wrap your glue up tight with rubber or something and clamp down just the handle. For a d/r bow put piece of wood under the handle and clamp it down then put another clamp on each limb about 10" from the tips and clamp it to the 2x4 until you get the desired deflex. hope this pic helps.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Muina

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 09:21:07 pm »
I admit I have never used poplar in a bow limb. However, knowing what I do about poplar and how poor its bow characteristics are I don't recommend you use it in the limbs. Justin

There is a species of Poplar (American Yellow Poplar) which is called Tulipwood. It's quite a good bow wood,  I use it quite often for backings, but it's a really soft wood so I'd be careful about where you put it. As a backing it should be fine but don't put it on the belly or it'll just compress too much.

For forms I usually just go by eye depending on what kind of limb deign I was aiming for. If I was making a reflexed limb I'd just put two 1" blocks on either end of a plank of 2x4 then clamp the handle down till I got the desired amount of reflex, I'd do this after I'd floor tillered the belly wood so I got a nice even curve.

For a R/D form just increase the size of the blocks (the amount depends on how much reflex you want) and add a 1" block underneath the handle, then clamp down mid-limb instead of the handle.