Author Topic: bow forms  (Read 13560 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
bow forms
« on: March 11, 2009, 09:48:13 pm »
I thought it would be nice if everyone would post pictures of their bow forms.  I'm always looking for ideas to improve mine, and I know I'm not the only one. Ill start off posting mine......

I got tired of having a lot of forms around so I use this one most of the time. As you can see it has only about 1" of reflex.

Here is the same form but I wanted to add a little deflex reflex so after I clamped down the handle I put in a little wedge.

Here you can see the smaller wedge on the form and a little larger one for if I want more D/R.

Here is the bow after it comes off the D/R form.

A form for flipping the tips and a super tight radius recurve form.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kenny H

• still learning!!!!!!!!!
Re: bow forms
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 10:10:24 pm »
Thanks Justin. I have been thinking about trying to build a form to try and flip some tips. This is gonna be a very helpful post if others will put theirs up so we can see all the different ideas. I was wondering how wide to make the forms. Could you use a 2x6 or does it need to be wider than the bow? How wide is yours Justin? Thanks     Kenny
Kenneth Hughes

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 10:15:19 pm »
These are made with 2X4s. I have made a couple that were wider than the 1 1/2" width, but I have never had a problem.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:19:07 pm »
Perty sweet Justin. Really like those little curvin forms.

I have so many different things I've built over the years, most of them I never use anymore.I'll try to get some pics tomorrow night.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 11:50:54 am »
If I remember I will drag my form outside and take a picture :) After it warms up a few more degrees
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline John K

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 11:56:24 am »
Thanks ! I needed this !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 12:10:15 pm »
This is the form I use for reflexing...

this is one of my recurve forms...

this one I use for full stave reflex and for straightening side to side bends...

I have another or two but no pics.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline yazoo

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 12:20:47 pm »
does any one use this type of form, it allows you to reflex and straighten at the same time why not kill two birds with one stone

[attachment deleted by admin]
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 12:22:44 pm »
I love it! Thanks for posting.  and perfect timing as I need to get that cascara twiddled into shape here. 

I'd be embarrassed to show what I use - plywood with various blocks that I screw to it for bracing the bow, applying clamps, etc.. it is rather adjustable I guess, but not near as pretty / form fitting as these.   I guess I'll have to make some.  Love it.
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 01:44:52 pm »
Thanks for the post Justin. I needed this. I built a form a year ago and have not been happy with it as it has no curves. I also don't have many power tools and did not feel like rasping a form to shape so I have just winged it as needed but still have not gotten the results I would like to see. I like yours and they look pretty do able. I think when I go to OJam next week I will take along some boards for forms that are already predrawn and then cut them to shape on the bandsaws that will be there. Good idea on the post.   Danny
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 01:48:05 pm by Sidewinder »
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 02:12:48 pm »
Yazoo, that is what the last picture pat posted is. 
Ryan, I know you have lots of recurve forms, want to share.  ;D

SW Utah

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 05:57:39 pm »
Here is one I built for wood laminated bows.  It's fully adjustable for reflex/deflex.  The blocks change out for different heights.  It's built around two track light channels.

"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 06:17:07 pm »
That's a cool form Marty.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 07:01:30 pm »
Sure Justin let me see what I can come up with..... ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Timo

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 10:05:30 pm »
I have some many ding dong forms layin around.... Here are a few I still use.

This is the one I use the most,mainly just to get things straight to start with.

My recurvin jig. I made it like this to accomadate different thickness, and also the weight of the bow will tell me when it is ready to bend.

This is what I ust to flip tips.

Didn't see one of this posted. I use this ALL the time. For straightnin kinks of all kinds.

I'm a lil primitive with my forms. I need to get with the program. ::)