Author Topic: Installing Fur String Silencers  (Read 17996 times)

Roger

Installing Fur String Silencers
« on: December 15, 2006, 09:16:22 pm »
Thought some of the new bowyers might like to see this.

Installing Fur String Silencers

Using fur strips from an animal has been used to dampen the “twang” of bow strings for hundreds of years. It is a perfect natural material that if chosen correctly sheds water, doesn’t collect burrs in the field & looks primitive and attractive on any self or backed bow. Fur from Mink, Beaver, Muskrat and a variety of other mammals works well due to their ability to shed water.
You will need the following:
1)   A suitable amount of fur to cut strips
2)   A razor knife
3)   Scissors (optional)
Begin by taking the razor knife and cutting a strip or strips from your fur. For best results cut along the “lay” of the hair from the skin side. Cut the fur suspended in your hands if possible to keep from cutting the hair. Do not use the scissors or you will also cut the hair.

Take your strip and taper the last little bit on the end. It should be about 3” long.  You can find the harmonic location by having someone hold the bow at a distance from you and pluck the string. Where the oscillations converge is the ideal place to put them. Unstring the bow and untwist  a little section of the string just big enough to stick the tag end of the fur strip into and twist it back.

Carefully note the rotation of the twist when putting in the strip. You want to wind the strip in the direction of the string twist. Wind the strip as tightly as you can butting the edges together as you go.

Continue winding until you have just enough of the strip left to once again unwind a bit of the twist and insert the end of the strip. Rewind the string to tighten around the strip. You have just completed  your first all natural fur string silencers. If you feel the fur is to long, you can trim it back with the scissors.

Hope this helps someone...

R

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Installing Fur String Silencers
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 10:48:18 pm »
HARMONIC LOCATIONS ! WOW---too much for a southern boy to think about!!~!! HA-HA-Ha- great post ther Rog--bob

Roger

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 12:53:31 am »
Thanks Bob...may sound techie but it ain't...otherwise this redneck couldn't do it...LOL

R

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 10:14:09 am »
Roger, I like  that harmonic thingy. Well done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Roger

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 07:54:43 pm »
Thanks Jawge...it really does work...LOL

R

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 03:10:37 pm »
ttt
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:41:10 am »
bump
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline karaterick

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 10:08:58 am »

Glad this was posted! I know it's a simple thing, but for us new guys it's a great help. Just what I was looking for!

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 11:53:23 pm »
So this only works on Flemish bow strings correct?
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 08:45:18 am »
Great tutorial.  Started using fur last year.  I like the way it works and the primitive look it gives.

Went to a traditional archery show this winter and a woman was selling clothes and she had three mink fur collars for $5.00 each.  We scooped them up real quick.

You can use fur with endless loop strings also if you twist the string up to adjust your brace height.  As mentioned apply the fur the same direction of the twist.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 02:07:11 pm »
Thanks Roger,
This is exactly what I needed.  Perfect timing!

Cheers!
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!