Author Topic: ugly points....  (Read 5143 times)

Offline billy

ugly points....
« on: March 13, 2009, 11:58:44 am »
For those of you who've just started chipping arrowheads, don't be embarrassed if you make some points that aren't so pretty.  This is a place for you to proudly display your "ugly" points. If you've got some pics of some of your ugly points, post them here!   I've been chipping arrowheads for about 20 years, and guess what....I still make some absolutely UGLY points.  Below is a picture of some of them.  Most of them were made out of really questionable pieces of stone that were thick and small, not leaving me much room to "beautify" the point.  Instead, I just tried to make a point out of the stone I had, and to hell with how it looked.  As you can see, they're asymmetrical, with uneven notches, bases, or edges, but that doesn't matter because they are all sharp.   These are points that will one day end up on my arrows and hopefully bring home some game.  Enjoy, and don't be embarrassed if you made an ugly point....cause even ugly points can be pretty! (although the beauty is sometimes hard to find   :) )

[attachment deleted by admin]
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Woodland Roamer

Re: ugly points....
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 01:55:21 pm »
Dang I'd be happy to make any of those points Billy. They look really authentic and I especially like the white quartz one. I have an original from Florida that is almost a dead ringer of the one second from the right on the top row. Nice work.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline xin

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 03:42:17 pm »
There are at four,maybe more,  that aren't so ugly.  In fact some of them are quite pretty.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Wish most of mine came out that well.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 09:30:45 am »
Looks very authentic! I've made lots of them. Whenever my nephew comes over, he always wants to look though my pile. Not sure how many he has now?

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 02:32:56 pm »
I'm still chipping away hoping for an ugly one.  ;D.  I'm finally pretty close but I think it will be UUUUGLY.  If it makes it I'll post it.
Traverse City, MI

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 05:22:54 pm »
If those are ugly mine must be hideous.  ;D I would be happy to have any of those.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 07:03:51 pm »
The biggest part of authentic points I find look pretty crude by today's standards, but they obviously got the job done. An ugly point will kill you just as dead as a purty one. I don't think the old ones were as worried about aesthetics of flintknapping as we are-they just wanted a point and a sharp edge. There are exceptions of course, like some of the paleo stuff, the big Ross blades, Sloan Daltons, or other grave goods.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 07:07:55 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 07:28:06 pm »
anyone a them be on one a my arrows.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 08:03:24 pm »
Hillbilly do you mean the ancients didn't utilize the FOG method :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 09:48:57 pm »
most of those look like they were made in the actual stone age.. wish I culd knap that good  ;) Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 10:35:13 pm »
  Dana, there is evidence, the ancients did a lot of flake over grind knapping. The Mayans, Egyptians, and Danes to name a few. And the Woodland tribes in Florida, heat treated Coral and grinded when they were making those thin Newnan's and Hillsboroughs.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 09:00:52 am »
Dana-Eddie's right about the FOG-those Egyptian Gerzian knives and a lot of the Danish stuff especially was FOG'ed. They didn't have diamond grinders and slab saws, but they would percussion flake a preform, then hand grind it smooth with a gritty rock and pressure flake it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 10:05:26 am »
I guess a feller learns something new everyday eh, I guess without TV and Internet they had time to hand grind :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 07:06:11 pm »
   I`d be verrry happy if I could make a point that was that "ugly"  My gravel making attempts are a HUGE sucess tho...  :o
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 11:40:27 pm »

Dana that was long before liberation, and " Honey do's" ;D

Wayne