Author Topic: Rabbit techniques  (Read 19646 times)

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Rabbit techniques
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 01:12:48 pm »
  I meant if anyone would pick up on it-bob

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 09:53:18 pm »
I have shot quite a few rabbits with a blunts, and even more squerrils, i have always been dissapointed.  i once shot a squerril in the chest with a judo as it was standing facing me.  it took the arrow up the tree.  20 min and a lot of arows later i knocked him down, with my judo still stuck in the white of his chest.  no way i was getting him.  broadheads do let them run sometimes, but they always die, and if i can make out the trail they are mine.  i lost faith in blunts on squerrils.  i always shoot for the chest, and have hit it enough with a 60 lb recurve to say i am dissapointed with the results.  i agree that blunts so a great job on head shots, but i am not good enough to always hit the head.  i prefer a large cutting surface that allows me to make some midtakes.   most rabbits i have hit with broadheads have died on the spot --just my opinion.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 10:17:59 pm »
    If you are hunting for meat,the swamp rabbit in Fl is the one to hunt.You usually get 3 yd shots.They are bigger than the cottontail and not as tough.Plus it seems like they don't have as many fleas.I like using blunts out of hickory or osage I turn on my lathe and stick in cane arrows.I think judos are about as useless as field points as they tend to go clean through if you make a body shot.Bob that ranch I hunted in So. Fl had the most cottontails I've seen here in years.We were shooting them in the headlites as we went back to camp.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jesse

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 07:43:23 pm »
A good eye is sometimes the best tecnique. I have found that instead of kicking a brush pile to scare out a rabbit. If I get lower to the ground  and look very closely into the brush often there is a rabbit looking back that is sure it is hidden. Then its a nice easy kill
                                                                                 Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

perry

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 05:28:09 pm »
         The Government was doing a study of the effects a new virus down here called Calisie [ dont know spelling but thats how it sounds ] on an off shore island and some clown nabbed a few infected rabbits [ our bunny's are introduced european ] and introduced it to the mainland . The farmers liked it , Aussie ikon Akubra hat company had to source its felt offshore it virtually wiped out the rabbits country wide so my rabbit huntin went by the wayside for about 15 years . Now thank goodness the bunny's have began to come back far more resistant to any disease and showing up in a lot of places the didn't exist . In the 1930's they introduced mixamotosis as the rabbits were denuding the country side , twice we have tried to eliminate bunny's from this country they came back and nature struck a balance .

Now to the original topic . I used to hunt rabbits in country with lots of gully's , I simply used to sneak along half way up the gully banks so not to sillouitte come over the top near a log or bush were the warren was at , take a seat in cover and shoot away until the rabbits wouldn't play anymore . I used sharpened field points with either a washer screwed in behind the head or sharpened field points with those slip on judo's thingo's . I found the bunny's could not get down there burrows with an arrow half through them and they usually died very quickly with a chest shot . Out west it is lots of low dense cover and a spot and stalk method only produces long shots so it boiled down to scouting out the warrens , taking cover and waiting again . regards Perry
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 05:34:55 pm by perry »

Offline Loki

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 07:52:04 pm »
I've never hunted the little fellas with a Bow but used to hunt them daily with a dog,he was much better at hunting rabbits than me  ;D.
Durham,England

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 03:16:54 pm »
A buddy of mine has a rabbit hunting trick he uses when we hunt them with bows. After flushing  a rabbit and it's on the run he nocks a arrow ,and whistles really load and sharp. By the time he has his bow up and drawn ,the rabbit is standing on his hind legs and searching the sky for a hawk.  ::)
   He gets a lot more rabbits than me.

Ralph