Author Topic: flintknapping  (Read 3686 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

flintknapping
« on: March 15, 2009, 10:28:03 am »
Just got back from a red stag management hunt in Argentina.  The people that managed the ranch had a fantastic arrowhead collection.  At first they were reluctant to let me see them and would not allow me to take pictures!  They don't want the rest of the world to know about the artifacts.  There were some old rough spear points, some very tiny and unbelievably well made obsidian points, some that look like the southern Oregon desert points, some long eared Rogue River twins, and some with long shanks and some with concave hafting areas with no nocks.  I don't know how they made those incredably small thin points or how they survived all the years buried in the sands.  Those tiny points make my very finest ones look like they were made with a jack hammer.  It always amazes me to see gem quality points made so long ago and I always wish that I could have been there to watch them being made.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: flintknapping
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 06:25:40 pm »
 Too bad they wouldn't let you take pictures, Joe. They would have been neat to see. I've never even thought of stone points in Argentina. How was the hunt?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 01:20:15 pm »
yeah Joe, lets see some pictures of those stags you harvested ;)...what a hunt brother..wish I could have been right there with you stalking through the tall grass.. Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 10:24:37 pm »
  Joe sent me a picture of one of the Stags he shot. A truly, magnificent animal. I didn't know they were so big. It was too big a picture to post on here. If somebody knows how to reduce it, I'll forward it and somebody else can post it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 11:04:15 pm »
Will ask Stacy to post some pictures of the Red Stags the next time she comes by.  One of the rewards of the hunt were the long and difficult stalks we made.  And the hardest part was passing up the bow shots at the trophy stags.  Joe

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 02:08:42 am »
Mullet,

Send me the pic...I can resize it and post it here.  bigbad93@aol.com

Marietta, Georgia

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 02:14:38 am »
Hey Joe,

I know what you're talking about when it comes to the ancient's skills at knapping.  Several years ago I saw some very small, paper-thin obsidian arrowpoints that a friend had found.  I was absolutely blown away.....they were so incredibly thin that I don't know how they weren't broken during manufacture.  They were also covered with flake scars, meaning those guys were able to drive long pressure flakes over the surface of those tiny points.  How the hell they did it I don't know, but I've never seen any modern knapper who can duplicate those points.  Steve Alley comes close, but the prehistoric points were still thinner than the points he makes.  And they were FLAT...  I've tried copying them as well but can't do it.  I think they may have had a different holding technique or something because I can't get them that thin...and I've been knapping for 20 years!! So much for a dumb caveman.....
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 08:41:20 am »
Billy:  The outfitter I hunted with lives in Mont. and his dad on a ranch just up the valley and the guide lives out of Cody so maybe when they get home I will be able to get some pictures!  My friend and mentor, Larry Schumacher, is the best knapper I have ever known personally and his tiny points are incredable, but even he never made anything that approached the points I saw in Argentina.  My days of even trying thin points is long gone.  Relegated to making hunting points and crude knives out of willing materials is my lot in life!  I really appreciate your skill level and want to thank you for sharing some of your work with the rest of us!  Joe

Offline redwasp

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 07:53:20 pm »
Nice, a guy like you deserves to have some fun. I'm stuck in Manhatten all day
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.