Author Topic: Giant Mekong River catfish!  (Read 11964 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Giant Mekong River catfish!
« on: March 16, 2009, 12:32:18 am »
I watched a National Geographic tonight about the giant Mekong River catfish. The reporter described them as growing the size of a grizzly bear. The local fishermen had caught one that was 9' long and weighed over 500kg (1100#  :o ). Anyone got any hushpuppies? ;D ...and they are vegetarians, eating only algae and  plants.  They also had a segment about the giant fresh water sting rays in the same water system that reportedly grew 10' across the wings and 20+' long to the tip of their tails.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Giant Mekong River catfish!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:59:38 am »
                           seen it too....what a Fish...and man these Steaks ought to grill nice too!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 01:22:01 am »
Wonder how that skin would be for bow backing?
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 01:22:49 am »
That would be fun on an ultra light rod with 6# test :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 01:23:25 am »
                                      I don't know....but I bet it would make a great Pair of Boots!!!

Light Rod....check out this Video........

http://www.filecabi.net/video/rodl-cat-fish.html

or you can be like thse two Suthin Boyz!!!

http://www.filecabi.net/video/411396.html
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 01:34:42 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 01:44:20 am »
Eldestructo, that's my favorite way of catching catfish. Ain't that the way everybody does it ??? ;D   We call it "noodling" around here.
 Those big flatheads ain't too much trouble. It's the blues that get to be a handfull. They like to bite.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 01:44:59 am »
Man that would be a blast caching those big fish by hand..  :o a stone knife in the top of the cat fish's head would make the experience even more fun.. Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Timo

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 07:57:40 am »
First fish I ever caught.... :-Xwas a blue. Dang thang ate my lunch! :( I stick with flatheads now.

I love catcish backings.I figure that one in the pic would supply about everyone on here with a set?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 09:02:51 am »
Wow what a fish,I would love to have a slap of that over the campfire. ;) ;D That might even be enough to feed GregB and have a little left for the rest of us. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 09:07:28 am »
 If you are "noodling" down here you are just as likely to stick your arm or foot in a Gator's mouth.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 12:25:03 am »
Watched that show to. The skin looks to thick for bow backings to me Shannon.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 12:13:26 am »

They get that big here magazine, and Sports Afield magazines, and heard of them at the dams, and such.  Supposed to be some in Texas, Mississippi, Tennessee, etc.  Used to get some pretty darn big ones down here in the canals. 20lbs and up.  No thanks you can do all the noodling you want.  You don't stick your hand in a hole down here.  You might not get it back!  Or you might have something hanging on with a nice big pair of fangs locked in it!  :o  I'll use a rod and reel thank you.   ;D

Wayne

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 03:56:30 am »
Ain't that the way everybody does it     We call it "noodling" around here
I've been in N.C and loved it.. did it in KS some to.
I looked all over the area i live in, in TN last summer trying to find a place to noodle, and ground not find a river with big rocks in it. i know i could go down the bank and reach up in the mud.. but lots of other S%$T live in them holes. I'll stick to reaching under rocks.
Mililani Hawaii