Author Topic: Lampert Aromaker  (Read 7042 times)

nicksnacks

Lampert Aromaker
« on: March 17, 2009, 06:23:53 pm »
Anyone ever heard of a Lampert aromaker? That is the way its spelled on the casting of this antique arrow shaft lathe. I can't find anything on the Internet about it but I know if someone has one or has seen one work they would remember it. It is a lathe that you shove a square shaft through it and it either barrel tapers it or makes a straight shaft depending on the set-up. Any info would be appreciated.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Lampert Aromaker
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 01:04:24 am »
Nick, Apparently nobody is familiar with the Lampert aromaker. You might want to try over at TradGang. Be sure to come back and enlighten us with the results of your search.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 02:09:49 am »
................Didnt see this post until now. The machine was made by Claude Lampert an archer from Oregon in the 1930's. It was made to use 3/8 " cedar squares so I dont know ifn it will work with the harder woods used by some for shafting today. Ifn yer in Oregon around Portland ya might look around. Good luck tryin' ta find one..........bob

nicksnacks

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 06:19:19 am »
Well thanks Coo-wah-chobee! I've been wondering who and when. Have you ever sawone in action? I have it working and I ran and oak square through it and it came out looking like I bought it off the shelf! Thanks for the info!

nicksnacks

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 06:40:52 am »
Guess i should have looked a little further on the board there is already a discusion on dowel making   :P

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 02:05:34 am »

Nicksnacks, how about a picture of the machine, and the before, and midway, and after photos of the dowels? ;)

Wayne

nicksnacks

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 06:27:12 am »
will do stickbender-made a new drive piece yesterday. This machine had alot of miles on it! Have to make some new blanks and then I'll post some pics. Nick

Offline IONIAN

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 11:14:49 am »
I am working on a router jig but I am having problems with the adjustments. I need to instal a micrometer on it so I can see how much material I am removing. Can we see a picture of your lathe Nick? it would be interesting to see what they used back in the day.
"aim small, miss small"

nicksnacks

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 03:33:08 pm »
Ionian, This thing won't help with a router jig. I will post pictures soon but I don't have them right now.THis link might help tho. I would add a jack screw set-up to the bak of this jig for adjustment.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=53

Offline IONIAN

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 07:17:20 pm »
  I didn't want to use it with a router Nick, I just wanted to see what it looked like.

The jig that you posted a link of is similar to what I am using.
"aim small, miss small"

Offline Timo

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 12:15:39 am »
Nick what are you having trouble adjusting??

Offline IONIAN

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 12:20:42 am »
Tim, I took your design and mounted everything on two rails. I just want to be able to adjust everything at once. Yankee can't leave good enough alone I guess.  ;D
"aim small, miss small"

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 12:46:08 am »
                                                            I know this Yankee can't.............. >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

nicksnacks

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 06:52:04 am »
Here are some pics  I don't know how to post them I'll try again later

Offline Timo

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 08:59:18 am »
Nick, the two rails sound interesting.Would love to see that.