Author Topic: New to arrowmaking, question?  (Read 10876 times)

captyn cron

Re: New to arrowmaking, question?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 02:40:06 pm »
Most of the true Texans...those that have had families here for generations...are the worst ones. Take my fam for instance, the Leathers family (mom's kin) came over with Sam Houston and the original 200 from TN way back and they can be some of the stingiest ppl you will ever meet. Stuck up too boy lemme tell ya. I mean my great uncle is one of the richest men round here...for an old timer anyhow...and he has been sharpening the same crosscut saw for years and won't buy a truck younger than he is,lol. lil exagerating but you get the point.

Thankfully the Emory side(my pop) thined that out in me!

Tx is a great place though and friendly overall but you get more and more A**es seems like

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 03:14:39 pm »
Texas is the Biggest State in the Lower 48....and it has the Least Public Land of all of them....Michigan has over twice the Free Public Land to use for Hunting or Recreation than does Texas....it's Sad....and here in the Panhandle.....if it's not the Johnson Ranch....it's the Arrington....or the 6666 Ranch.....and you ain't getting near any of it!! Not even to lease for Hunting....No Exceptions....Period..all We have is a Pittance of Federal Land around a Drying Up Mud Hole called Lake Meridith to hunt.....and there is 10-20 thousand others trying to do the same....and don't pick up a Rock....or a Turkey Feather....or stump shoot at anything....or they will fine the Pants off of You....it is Sad....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 03:56:06 pm »
After learning the hard way, the best places to get materials in Texas is trash piles....the only problem is many people want you to take the WHOLE pile.  Still, they look at you funny "if yer pokin' around", regardless if it's trash or not.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 05:10:00 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline xin

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 04:56:22 pm »
Eldestructo, I concur with everything you said and do believe you have hit the nail on the head.  It  is even difficult  to gain access to most waterways and if, while boating, you heed the call of nature and step on land and not some sandbar in the middle of the river expect be arrested if you're seen.  I know of several arrests on Red River for such benign behaviors.  I'm fairly sure the Texas obsession with property rights goes back to the nineteenth century and the big cattle ranches and the way they were put together.  Texas is filled with nice people and is a good place to live, but is far from an Eden.  Crafty, Trash piles are a good source of materials.  I used to get almost all of my Osage from them, but I'm afraid to now.  I'm just afraid of getting arrested, and usually finding who owns or is in charge of the trash pile is more trouble than it is worth.  Even then, you're never sure if you got permission from the right person.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 05:06:28 pm by xin »