Linked Events

• 2nd NC Knap-In&Prim. Skills: September 18, 2009 - September 20, 2009

Author Topic: 2ed North Carolina Knap-in & Primitive Skills Rendezvous-Sept 18,19,20-2009  (Read 59375 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Send Dick a pm and he will get yo some directions
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hardawaypoints

You can also PM me if need any other info.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Catahoula

Hi Jim,

This near Mebane, NC?  Also...say an old retired fellow doesn't know much about knapping...is reading a book about it...never knapped anything...wants to learn.  Should this old retired fellow (me) bring tools that he buys somewhere or will I be able to pick up the basic tools at the event?  Will total beginners (me again) have a chance to get some knapping lessons?   I made a hickory bow at the Tennessee Classic and sure would like to knap some arrow heads and make some arrows in the future. 

also:
Yazoo,

Will be interested in checking out your osage.

Rand:)
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Hardawaypoints

Yes, the Knap-In location is just outside Mebane.  If you need a map or flyer emailed to you, please let me know & I'd be happy to send one.

Of course, there will be knappers willing to give help/ lessons.  If I can free up some time, I'd be happy to myself.  Part of knapping is teaching others techniques to help improve their skills. It probably has worked the same way since people first figured out how to shape stone into useful tools. No reason for it to change now.

Jim

If anybody cares, I had different surgery than they thought was required. My rotator cuff was in good shape.  My upper biceps tendon was shredded and there was not enough of it to fix, so they cut it arthroscopically.  My left upper arm now looks strange, but I am already out of the sling & typing with both hands.  I even did a little knapping this evening, but it is telling on my shoulder tonight. I should be good to go come the knap-in.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Jim take care of that shoulder. the knapping will be there when the shoulder is healed.
Rand, if folks are knapping and you are interested, all you have to do is sit down with them and act interested. If you think bow building is addictive wait til you get involved with these knappers!  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Catahoula

Hi Jim,

I will copy the map so should be fine. (Still got your phone number if we get lost)  Thanks for offering to help and I sure will take you up on it if you have time.  Hope your shoulder keeps healing up.:-)

I noticed a knaping kit in the Three Rivers catalog...should I buy stuff or will someone be selling tools there?

I don't have anything except my knapping book and enthusiam.  You see there is this fellow I met in Tennessee who is from Brevard, NC who has the prettiest arrows I ever did see and I want to learn to knap an arrow head and make some arrows...(bucket list stuff).

Hey Pat...I will do just that!  I sure get a kick out of bows, arrows, knapped arrow heads, knives (Bobby sure makes nice knives) and such.  Interest I got!:-)

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Don't rush out and buy the tools just yet.  I am making some extras (copper and antler) to bring and a bunch of dacite.  I will be there all three days and won't be too hard to find.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
If all else fails you will definetily leave this event with ideas of how to make your own tools.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
There's no better way to learn than to sit in the pit with a bunch of knappers.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
Re: 2ed North Carolina Knap-in & Primitive Skills Rendezvous-Sept 18,19,20-2009
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2009, 09:03:54 pm »
I was wondering if anybody is going to be selling bows. specifically D bows, at the event. Or if anybody is willing to trade goods.

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2009, 11:31:10 pm »
There's always a lot of trading (and giving) going on at events like these.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline StevenT

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2009, 12:33:59 pm »
Hello all,

As some of you know, I am a bit green at this. However, I have put this on my calendar and plan to attend. I am shooting for attending all three days if I can. I have only started cracking stone (glass) a month or so ago and this will be my first event. I plan on bringing a tent, a cooler with something to eat (probably dogs), snacks, something to drink, the tools I have made and bug spray. I am assuming I will be able to get rock to bust at the event.

Other than that, I do not know what to expect other than I plan to meet a lot of cool people and hopefully learn a lot.

I don't have any skills yet, but I am willing to help out where ever I can.

I am assuming campfires will be allowed, correct?

Maybe some of you seasoned folks can suggest other things for a new person to bring or what to expect.
Thanks
Steven

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2009, 02:55:21 pm »
Steven, come on down, we'll be glad to bust some rocks with you. There was rock available last year, and should be this year. We allowed campfires last year, should be fine unless something comes up with the landowner between now and then.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2009, 05:58:45 pm »
Last year Dick & I had cut & split some oak off his property for firewood.  Because of my ongoing shoulder problems, that didn't happen this year.  We are allowed to burn any downed wood from on site and there is still some of last year's wood pile remaining.  If I can handle it, I may visit a couple of cutovers between now & then and cut some smaller pieces that don't need to be split.  I can't handle a maul yet and I can only carry smaller stuff.  If you have a few extra pieces of wood to burn, bring 'em.

I have a little rock I intend to bring to sell.  I also found a 30-35 pound piece of rhyolite that may or may not be worth a dang.  I intend to throw it into the community pile and whoever wants to bust it up is welcome to.  I'm not much on spalling.

I also have about 20 pounds of bambi burgers that I will grill for the group on Friday night.  I'll also have the buns & condiments and probably some baked beans & slaw to go with it.  If you don't like venison (what the %@&# is wrong with you?),  then you're on your own.

Jim

Offline StevenT

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2009, 10:07:32 pm »
Jim,
I will be coming in a F150 so I will load up on wood and bring it with me. It is some old stuff, but will burn just fine. I may have access to some other wood, so I will bring what I can and will be glad to share (maybe I can swap some wood for some rock). I will also bring my sledge and wedges. I have a 16 in chain saw, do you think I should bring it?

Are you nuts! Who the heck don't like Bambi burgers. I will definity put one of those away and look forward to it.

Besides wood, what else can I bring that can help out.

Like I said, this will be my first knap in, so I am going to ask... what type of facilities are going to there? Do I need to bring a shovel?

S